Replacing power inflator hose o-ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The o-ring in the power inflator hose (the one that comes from the first stage) needed to be replaced as it was bubbling in the power inflator connection.
I removed the o-ring and I saw that it was pretty deteriorated.
I have a new o-ring to install, but I've been trying without success.
Of course, many will say "buy a new hose", but it's just the o-ring.
Any one knows how to install the new o-ring ?

It's a pain....but it can be done with patience and a good tool with a hook type end that will not scratch the barrel.

Looked at Namreg 58 method. I think I may have to try that.

Last edited:
Yes, two issues. (1) getting the old o-ring out....takes care and patience. Hooked tool good, be careful not to scratch the seating surface. (2) getting the new o-ring in. Slow and easy, work it in. From Northeast Scuba Supply:
John's Words of Wisdom:
Hose is leaking. There are four parts on a BC hose that can fail below is listed the problem and remedies
1. Leaking from Rubber material (Order new hose)
2. Leaking from Crimp Area – (Order Hose) – in a pinch at a dive site you can clamp the crimp with a pair of pliers and it will usually stop the leaking. This is only temporary to get you and your buddy back in the water
3. Leaking from Quick Connect End (not hooked to power inflator) This is a worn or corroded Schrader valve. These are the same Schrader valves in tires. Replace the Schrader valve with a new one and you are back in business.
4. Leaking from QD when attached to Power Inflator This is a bad o-ring on inside of the quick disconnect. Just take a pick with a hook end and yank that sucker out of there. The o-ring replacement size is 011. Just lube a new one up and push it into the grove. This is harder than it sounds.
5. O-rings needed for repairs 011 on first stage 011 on QD Side

Scuba tools has a handy plastic tool that makes it a lot easier to get that o-ring in.

Absent that I usually just keep messing around with it till I get lucky and it lands in the groove. :D

Remove the Schrader valve.
Find yourself a small screw which head lands plain with the lower part of the o-ring groove.
With a tweezer or appropiate dowl push the new o-ring into the groove.
Shake out the screw.
Reinstall the Schrader Valve.
Done.....
Or get yourself a the special tool from Scuba Tools.....

someone posted a homemade tool for inserting the o-ring into the hose using a screw and a plastic drywall anchor. The post had pictures and directions. I can't seem to locate it. Anyone have a link?

-Z

+1 Scubatools. 1 minute's work.
Why make yourself crazy?
When you get this one in, finally, with the other methods, order the Scubatools toy for the next time.
LP Hose Kit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom