Reporting Posts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willuw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Just have a little rant..

Like most boards, people here are encouraged to report posts that violate the rules, rude, abusive, etc..

But after reporting numerous (3+) posts that have clearly broken the rules and nothing gets done as DAYS have passed - what's the point?

I take time out to report the post with an explanation - many days pass and nothing changes - or not even a response - so essentially it is just a waste of time. It doesn't make us very fair for those of us who abide by the rules and doesn't give a good image that this place is moderated and people are expected to abide by the rules.

I don't know if its understaff, mods that dont care, or what - but it is frustrating and just not right.

Just have a little rant..

Like most boards, people here are encouraged to report posts that violate the rules, rude, abusive, etc..

But after reporting numerous (3+) posts that have clearly broken the rules and nothing gets done as DAYS have passed - what's the point?

I take time out to report the post with an explanation - many days pass and nothing changes - or not even a response - so essentially it is just a waste of time. It doesn't make us very fair for those of us who abide by the rules and doesn't give a good image that this place is moderated and people are expected to abide by the rules.

I don't know if its understaff, mods that dont care, or what - but it is frustrating and just not right.

It would seem moderating this board is a pretty demanding job. I think the MODS do an excellent job of it. Sometimes I have reported posts that have remained and the conclusion I arrived at was just because I felt offended by what someone has said does not mean it strictly violates TOS. Perhaps the mods have read your report and posted a warning to the OP without your knowledge.

It would seem moderating this board is a pretty demanding job. I think the MODS do an excellent job of it. Sometimes I have reported posts that have remained and the conclusion I arrived at was just because I felt offended by what someone has said does not mean it strictly violates TOS. Perhaps the mods have read your report and posted a warning to the OP without your knowledge.

While I dont deny that it is a demanding job, as I have been an admin on a board with ~70,000 members - it could be a lot quicker and smoother. And the reported posts I mentioned were ones that strictly violate the rules no question about it - not ones that dictate personal preference or opinion so there should have been no question that they got removed.

All reported posts go into a repository entitled "Unclaimed". Mods review these reports and make a decision on what to do. When a mod (or mods) decides to act, they will PM you. We do need to work out a better solution for when we are discussing the issue at hand or have decided to do nothing. ScubaBoard is a dynamic forum! We are changing all of the time! Sometimes a reported post sparks a lively debate on how we should change. Please be patient! All reported posts will get looked at!

All reported posts go into a repository entitled "Unclaimed". Mods review these reports and make a decision on what to do. When a mod (or mods) decides to act, they will PM you. We do need to work out a better solution for when we are discussing the issue at hand or have decided to do nothing. ScubaBoard is a dynamic forum! We are changing all of the time! Sometimes a reported post sparks a lively debate on how we should change. Please be patient! All reported posts will get looked at!

Well, a reported post is usually reported for violating the rules. If they still haven't even been looked at after three days - that is pretty bad. People spamming there ebay links - by the time a mod sees it 3-??? days later the auction is already over and the person got their desired advertising in.

People continue to bump there thread every hour or two - then by the time a mod sees it a week later everyone is frustrated and the person has already sold their stuff and the post is closed. I could go on with more examples but I will spare everyone.

I just don't understand what the delay could be, back on the forum I used to help run that was very similar in size to this - if there was a reported post it was taken care of mere minutes - not days or weeks. The report tool is suppose to result in quick action on a violating or inappropriate thread - thats the whole idea of it -- but for some reason that is not done here.

I just wanted to take a moment to chime in here.

I'd like to point out that I'm not too busy to take the time to moderate threads while I am on ScubaBoard. (I try never to use that excuse. :D) Some days I'm on the Board for hours while on other days I may only sign in for a few minutes.

Will, I picked up one of your reported posts this morning. This morning when I signed on, I first looked at my subscribed posts to see what might be new, sent off a few PMs in response to ones I had received and then went into the Moderator's area to see what reported posts were unclaimed.

When a post gets reported that report is sent to a "Unclaimed Cases" forum. Sometimes it is scooped up right away, sometimes there is some debate and communication on the post. Yesterday you reported the post that I claimed at 11:50AM, the first moderator made a comment on your thread at 3:09PM. Another comment was made at 9:49 this morning and I took the possession of the post at 10:10 this morning. I spent some time looking at the TOS and at a Forum Rules Sticky. I then deleted the thread, made a comment on the thread of your reported post, sent a PM to the offender, and then sent you a PM.

Sometimes some posts are so blatant in their violation we are able to deal with them right away; sometimes other posts have pages of discussion which may take a couple of days.

If you report a post, you should always get a PM letting you know what the result of your report is and I'm sorry if you haven't in the past. We moderators are constantly working to improve ourselves and our moderating techniques. I hope that you'll have more of a positive experience in the future when reporting posts.

Because you brought this lack-of-timely-communication issue up; I know that in the future when I see a post that we moderators are discussing, I will take the time to let the reporting member know that we received it and will notify them when we reach a solution.

Thanks! I appreciate your reporting posts that may otherwise get overlooked!

Ann Marie

Back
Top Bottom