Reports of Monterey fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From that link:
16 Water Skin diving, fast
12.5 Water Skin or scuba diving, moderate
7 Water Skin or scuba diving, general
12 Water Skin or scuba diving, high skill level
5 Water Snorkeling
3 Water Surfing, body or board

Note the 12, and the 12.5, among other things. Not sure this makes sense.

Its been quite a while since I went through the PADI "peak performance buoyancy" class, but back in the dark ages, the recommendation for how much lead I was supposed to carry was absurdly large.

This MET recommendation is very much in-line with that. I can only hope the PPB class curriculum has been reality adjusted

It’s not saying that one has to be able to sustain 13 MET over a very long time. Cardiac stress tests are based on different stages of treadmill speed and slope, with a standard test consisting of 7 stages. Each stage is three minutes long, and you start at stage 1. The test ends when either you have chest pain, shortness of breath, EKG abnormalities, are unable to keep up the pace, or finish all 7 stages. Finishing stage 4 is 13 MET (3 minutes effort). Only a very fit person makes it to stage 7. An average middle aged man should make it to stage 3. PADI is saying that a doctor should check if a potential diver is just a bit fitter than the average middle aged man. Basically, can you run at an 8:00 mile pace for 3 minutes without shortness of breath, chest pain, or other discomfort?

Disclaimer: This is not medical advice or a suggestion to go try this right now. If this is in question, consult with your doctor. It’s just an explanation in real life terms of what the 13 MET stress test is similar to in real life, as an 8:00 Mile is 13 MET effort.

Does anyone know if there is an investigation when something like this happens? And who I would contact to pass along info?

From a purely personal perspective on shore diving in the UK, and not a comment on this case, I have, with the possible exception of shallow river diving, found shore diving the most physically demanding type of diving. I realise that lugging twin twelve L's and stages is hard on a boat , but for me the potential long walk over difficult terrain, through waves over rocks is nothing to be undertaken lightly. You need be light in kit as well as body with good strength and cardiovascular fitness especially in those who are very inexperienced.
The ability to be able to truly assess the in water conditions is vital. As someone who has had a friend die with a cardiac event, in water, on a boat dive my sympathies to those involved.
This has been a very thoughtful thread IMO.

Holy sweat glands, Batman.

13 METS is a very high hurdle:
  • 16-19 MPH on a bicycle (no drafting you wimp)-- 12 METS
  • 8 min/mile running -- 12.5 METS
  • Carrying a 74+ lb load up stairs -- 12 METS
  • 1:30/100 yards swimming -- METS
https://community.plu.edu/~chasega/met.html

How useful of PADI to adopts such a reasonable standard. . .
Bowling = 12 METS?

Does anyone know if there is an investigation when something like this happens? And who I would contact to pass along info?
Death investigations are the responsibility of the coroner unless foul play is suspected (then its the police)
99+% of the time the cause of death from a coroner's perspective is "drowning". This is because the heart attack, stroke, etc is rarely immediately fatal. So for example, a diver has a heart attack, loses consciousness, aspirates water, drowns. Coroner lists cause of death as drowning which isn't especially illuminating. Also in many states (e.g. my own state of Washington) a coroner's report is considered personal medical information, isn't public, and can only be released to immediate family members upon valid request. To contrast, in FL, coroner's reports are considered public records.

If it concerns conduct that you think implies criminal negligence or similar then the Sheriff. Not sure who does death investigations if it is more information that will help them understand the events.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom