Reports of Monterey fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really

Those kinds of incident reports are just witness statements. They are used to limit the agency liability and throw the instructor under the bus in subsequent litigation. Which is why the agency demands them of instructors involved in an incident - not because they are trying to help everyone do better. Student instructor ratios will remain too high, instructors will remain under shop pressure to go out even when conditions are poor, the time spent learning about surf entries will remain a 45 second "walk backwards" discussion, etc.

I never said the agency investigation is for any reason other than for their own liability protection.

Ugh, I don't know how to delete messages on this forum.

You can’t. You can edit for a limited time.

To delete, report your post, and ask the moderator if they would delete it for you.

Unless I wrote something that can be taken as more offensive than I at first thought, I just live with my mistakes. The mods are not paid so I try not to add to their work.

Bob

I have so many close friends in this area, but I’ve recently been out of cell phone service and just returned to hear the horrible news. Do we have any idea yet who the deceased is? Worried

There have been no local news reports of this event, so nothing official. The deceased was a very large Caucasian male (my own distant observation). It is believed it was a refresher course (not confirmed). The shop may/may not be earlier in the thread - that I do no want to share without personal confirmation.

That info may help you eliminate some possibilities. We all do understand your worry, we CA divers had the same not long ago while waiting to hear who was aboard the Conception. May all their souls rest in peace - they are not forgotten.

I see, to often, divers who have never had to deal with the ocean get tossed and rolled but those that don’t quit are better divers for west coast shore diving, my opinion far to many are getting certified in lakes and my opinion no one should get any advanced cert in that environment, Great Lakes being an exception since those are self contained inland oceans. Last week by watching the conditions I stayed home, sometimes that’s the best dive, the one you didn’t take.
Don’t give PADI any ideas, next thing you know they will come up with an “Ocean Shore Diving” specialty.

Don’t give PADI any ideas, next thing you know they will come up with an “Ocean Shore Diving” specialty.
:giggle: Maybe but it may be one of the more valuable cents out there, I have advocated for a gear watcher specialty, 6 months of extensive training sitting near my car while I dive!

We used to call that a basic scuba course. :)

Back
Top Bottom