Reports of Monterey fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:giggle: Maybe but it may be one of the more valuable cents out there, I have advocated for a gear watcher specialty, 6 months of extensive training sitting near my car while I dive!

I read it on the Internet (so it must be true) that you can submit the curriculum to PADI for approval and if they approve: teach the course and dish out certs all you like.

A short course where one gets slammed into the bottom once or twice may not be a bad thing for those who never been out bodysurfing etc. OBX would be perfect for it, with their fine gently sloping sand. (And somewhere at home I've a picture, too.)

We used to call that a basic scuba course. :)

Yep, when I was certified in the 70s it was a one day boat dives (usually Coronados) one day beach dives (La Jolla). Seems like most of what was taught back then would require your basic, probably much of AOW and several 'specialty' courses to achieve the same level of training now. And what was taught in the AOW closer to what is now parts of Dive Rescue or even Dive Master.

Don’t give PADI any ideas, next thing you know they will come up with an “Ocean Shore Diving” specialty.
Honestly that makes more sense to me than a boat diver specialty. And it's kind of what the LA County 3Rs course is about.

Honestly that makes more sense to me than a boat diver specialty. And it's kind of what the LA County 3Rs course is about.
The question is, who would they get to teach it? Since most of the core knowledge about reading the ocean has been lost including surf entry and exit, beach crawls, kelp crawl, rough/rocky shoreline assessment and management, learning to use the swell to your advantage, gear streamlining to be less encumbered for tricky shore dives, physical fitness for challenging dives, etc.
I’ve watched how open water students are taught to beach dive at the Breakwater supposedly the “PADI” way and it’s a complete joke. I genuinely feel sorry for the students, It’s absolutely horrendous what I see.
The current instructors would have to learn from ground zero how to do all this stuff before they could teach it.
Those of us that have been shore diving in challenging conditions for a time seemed to somehow figure it out on our own.

Yep, when I was certified in the 70s it was a one day boat dives (usually Coronados) one day beach dives (La Jolla). Seems like most of what was taught back then would require your basic, probably much of AOW and several 'specialty' courses to achieve the same level of training now. And what was taught in the AOW closer to what is now parts of Dive Rescue or even Dive Master.

You and me both.

The open-water courses nowadays, almost strike as those resort classes for some weekend dilettantes in Cozumel, to hit 10 meters, for two days, and perhaps bragging rights back at the office in Reseda.

We did boat dives; shore dives; entered between challenging sets; but were well-prepared. We often free-dove a bit, before gearing up, those same days. Most of those I grew up with in Northern California, spent a fair share of time, at the beach, surfing, etc; were comfortable in the water; and those small classes spent enough time gauging both our limitations and -- most most flattering to a slack-jawed teenager -- our capabilities. But we were vetted; given credit, where credit was due; and weren't required to take several piecemeal courses, to satisfy some cynical dive shop's bottom line; or for some asinine collection of bragging-rights patches. I truly believe that shops were far more attentive to course work and wholesale education, before they were required, by economics, to became glorified travel agencies.

This was truly a sad state of affairs all around, if what has been reported, is indeed true; and my sincerest condolences to his friends and family . . .

again, it depends on the instructor. I got certified relatively recently compared to some on this board and the checkouts were shore dives over 2 days at monastery.

+1. Though my checkouts were held during flat days at Breakwater, we were pretty thorough about practicing Monastery crawls, timing entries and exits, etc.

That said, the class didn't prepare me for the most dangerous entry in Monterey/Carmel: that slippery slippery Whaler's Cove boat ramp :D.

+1. Though my checkouts were held during flat days at Breakwater, we were pretty thorough about practicing Monastery crawls, timing entries and exits, etc.

That said, the class didn't prepare me for the most dangerous entry in Monterey/Carmel: that slippery slippery Whaler's Cove boat ramp :D.
At low tide it’s worthy of it own cert!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom