Repurposing a medical oxygen concentrator.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveClimbRide

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've come into the possession of a Home fill II compressor and Platinum 5 concentrator. https://www.invacare.com/product_files/1100873.pdf INVACARE PLATINUM 5 SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib. And was wondering at the feasibility of using them to (slowly) create 80~90% fills. I don't think it would be too hard to adapt a fitting that would allow me to fill a scuba tank or a J. From what I could find in the manual it is rated for continuous operation which is good because I think it will take between 28 and 70 hours to fill a J. I heard that oxygen concentrators also concentrate the argon. Would this be a problem for partial pressure blending of nitrox/deco mixtures? Usually not higher that 50%. Basically what haven't I thought of or don't know, that could be a problem. I have found a few references to concentrators in threads but nothing definitive.

Reactions: OTF
I've come into the possession of a Home fill II compressor and Platinum 5 concentrator. https://www.invacare.com/product_files/1100873.pdf INVACARE PLATINUM 5 SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib. And was wondering at the feasibility of using them to (slowly) create 80~90% fills. I don't think it would be too hard to adapt a fitting that would allow me to fill a scuba tank or a J. From what I could find in the manual it is rated for continuous operation which is good because I think it will take between 28 and 70 hours to fill a J. I heard that oxygen concentrators also concentrate the argon. Would this be a problem for partial pressure blending of nitrox/deco mixtures? Usually not higher that 50%. Basically what haven't I thought of or don't know, that could be a problem. I have found a few references to concentrators in threads but nothing definitive.
Oxygen concentrator

@DiveClimbRide the thread that @grf88 linked is probably "definitive".

Basically you need/want to take the QD off of one of the bottles that hopefully came with it. That is then an easy to create a fill whip from. You want to make the adapter that way, I promise you, so hopefully it has one of the bottles with the QD on there.

It will reliably spit out 93-95% O2 with the balance being argon. This is fine to use for open circuit deco gas or partial pressure blending directly for 100% O2, no changes are needed.

It will only pump to about 2200psi/150bar and you don't want to try to increase that.

Thanks, not sure how I didn't find that.

@DiveClimbRide the thread that @grf88 linked is probably "definitive".

Basically you need/want to take the QD off of one of the bottles that hopefully came with it. That is then an easy to create a fill whip from. You want to make the adapter that way, I promise you, so hopefully it has one of the bottles with the QD on there.

It will reliably spit out 93-95% O2 with the balance being argon. This is fine to use for open circuit deco gas or partial pressure blending directly for 100% O2, no changes are needed.

It will only pump to about 2200psi/150bar and you don't want to try to increase that.
I've got fifteen of the bottles so even if I screw up 14 times it shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom