Requirements for diving (logs, cards, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how many dive professionals and other diver categories put YES on the question about recreational drug use compared to the number of divers that actually use recreational drugs?

WRSTC statement states

Where I work we have a written standard called RFC-2119 that defines must as

You are absolutely required to answer all questions regardless of the answers. Some posters here claim that someone at PADI told them "must" does not mean "must" if you bring in doctor's release. I am fairly certain that when it comes to assigning liability, someone at PADI will forget ever remembering saying anything of the sort, and legal professionals will interpret "must" to mean "must".

So effectively WRSTC form gives you two options: answer all questions, or answer all questions and bring the doctor's writ. If you're not comfortable disclosing your medical history to a dive op, your only option is to dive with an operator who uses a sensible waiver form instead -- whether you bring the medical release or not.

Yes, it's a formality, but if you answer no to "recreational drug use ... in the past five years", you may be caught lying on your official signed statement.

We use the PADI medical questionnaire for students because it is required. We have a standard diver registration and waiver for certified divers to complete, which does list specific medical conditions and includes a statement of “fitness for diving.”

We have a standard diver registration and waiver for certified divers to complete, which does list specific medical conditions and includes a statement of “fitness for diving.”

Can that be found on your website anywhere before we book a package and pay you a deposit?

WRSTC statement states

Where I work we have a written standard called RFC-2119 that defines must as

You are absolutely required to answer all questions regardless of the answers.

Technically - you must provide an answer - nothing, nothing can enforce honesty - just provide an answer.

To be clear, first I wouldn't dive with your shop because of the intrusive OCD interrogation aimed to cover your a$$. I clear my diving with my primary care provider. I trust his opinion far more than I trust any dive operator. They are not physicians nor do they have any idea what my medical history is.

Last edited:
We use the PADI medical questionnaire for students because it is required. We have a standard diver registration and waiver for certified divers to complete, which does list specific medical conditions and includes a statement of “fitness for diving.”
I like your waiver form.

There was a thread a short while ago that hotly disscussed the "medical question waiver form" issue. From that thread my feeble brain retained the following (which could be wrong-ish):
- PADI (and everyone else in the world) requires students of paid training courses to provide solid proof that their current physical condition is safe to dive. The RSTC provides a standard form for this. The form has lots of personally invasive medical questions.
- you can either answer a bunch of presonally invasive medical questions or provide a doctors signature that you are good to go
- in certain US areas, many dive ops adopt the RSTC form as part of their every day dive waiver, even if you are not taking a training course.
- many (most?) other places in the world simply ask you to affirm that you understand scuba is dangerous, you are go to go and that it is all your fault.

I am going to expand upon Christi's answer to take it beyond her operation's policy.

Dive agencies require specific forms for all STUDENTS taking classes. Those in the RSTC use that form. If you are a student taking a class through an agency, you must follow those rules exactly.

It used to be unusual for dive operators to require any medical form for diving, but it is becoming more and more common. When they do, they can make their own forms or use an existing form (like the RSTC form). When they are using those forms for their own purposes rather than for diving, then they can set their own rules for them.

I understand the requirements for students to complete the full medical interrogation even though I find some of the questions completely irrelevant and has been stated invasive.

No, I am NOT a Dr, but there are certain conditions that I need to be aware of if you're going to get on one of my boats so that if anything DOES happen, we have somewhere to start - diabetes for example, I won't keep you off the boat for that, but we need to know so that we can have proper snacks, supplies, etec. in case there is an issue. Not ALL "yes" answers are automatic "no's", having the information simply helps us to be properly prepared. It would be MUCH easier liability wise to just have the signed statement that you're fit for diving - but for me, it's not just about liability.

I modified & added a few specific medical questions to my release after a fatality we had 2 years ago. The diver had been diagnosed with severe COPD and was told by his physician that diving would kill him. His entire dive group knew this. Day 3, 1st dive of the day - he died upon surfacing from embolism in his lung as a direct result of his medical condition. He did not disclose this to us, his dive group did not disclose it to us and he was 100% dishonest on his release. Had I known that he was suffering from COPD - I most absolutely would have denied service to him - that one is an absolute NO to diving. But the questions I do have on my certified diver registration ARE necessary and serve a purpose.

Potential liability aside (we were covered because of the liability release) the emotional distress on my crew, his friends and my other divers as well as everyone on the pier where we brought him to meet the ambulance were affected. The group leader was my friend and it was heartbreaking to see him go through that and have his vacation ruined along with the other friends he had invited on what was supposed to be a very special trip for him.

Again, I will not apologize for doing my part to mitigate risk and distress for myself, my crew and our guests. The fact that some don't care and choose to put their heads in the sand makes me question THEIR motives.

Thank you John for the added explanation as well!

I have an incurable medical condition known as being a cynical a*hole. It makes me believe that the only reason that guy didn't answer "yes" to the COPD question on the release form, is because the form didn't have one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom