Requirements for Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
[h=2]Master Scuba Diver Level 4[/h]This course and certification is the highest and most prestigious non-leadership rating that may be attained by an SEI Diving diver. It is considered the supreme standard of diving excellence and recognition of expert training. This course of instruction is often offered to students over a period of time rather than in a formal class environment. In this way, students can build knowledge and skills while meeting all the completion requirements including other specialty courses.

What exactly are the requirements for this certification? MSD + Diver Rescue and Accident Management + 100 dives is said to be equivalent to CMAS 4 star.

Thanks, Craig

We're unfamiliar with SEI to be honest, but if it helps both PADI and SSI's MSD involves being certified Advanced and Rescue, completing 5 specialties and having 50 logged dives. Hope that helps :)

The SEI Master Diver cert is similar to the NAUI Master Diver cert. It is in fact a standalone course that passes on and requires Instructor level knowledge, skills, and leadership qualities and abilities. The only thing missing is the teaching component. The summaries on the site do not go into as much detail as they should. Been trying to get that changed for awhile. It has no number of specialty requirements. Much of what would be taught in specialties is covered in the course. The last master diver student I had took about five months to complete the course. It involved somewhere on the order of 25 hours in the classroom, and we completed around thirty dives that were actually related to the class covering deep, navigation, low/zero vis, drysuit, search and recovery, and advanced rescue skills. We also spent an entire day free diving to depths of thirty feet and recovering objects.

In the classroom we rebuilt regulators, went over decompression procedures in detail planned decompression dives, and hyperbaric chamber operation. Another area of study was dive leadership and planning for group dives. We went over diving in hazardous conditions, decontamination procedures, and advanced first aid for dive injuries. A great deal of time was spent in navigation.

While going through the course he also got his intro to Tech cert with me. Everything that an instructor should know and be able to do is what the course is. Minus, again, the teaching component. But to be fair I'd trust that student to teach someone I cared about long before many of the OWSI's I see at some training sites.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom