Requirements for NAUI Advanced Diver Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know where the requirements for the NAUI Advanced Diver certification can be found? It's my understanding that with the regular "Scuba Diver" cert, I'm not supposed to go beyond 60'. Some of the more interesting sounding dive sites around here are a little beyond that. Not that anyone would likely stop me, but drowning because I made a mistake is not on my to-do list.

I'm asking because when I took the NAUI Scuba class I was surprised by the 60' underwater swim I had to do. It was quite a struggle, and I ended up having to hire a swim instructor (albeit for only 30 mins) in order to get through it. I've done it 10 times or so now, I wouldn't call it easy but I can do it. I'm a better swimmer for having done it, but it was hugely stressful coming to the classes and repeatedly failing. I want to be better prepared going into another class.

I've got plenty of time for this, though because I plan to take the nitrox class next. The instructor (of the regular "scuba diver" class) repeatedly recommended it. I am just trying to get a jump on things if I've got some more swim practice ahead of me...

Does anyone know where the requirements for the NAUI Advanced Diver certification can be found? It's my understanding that with the regular "Scuba Diver" cert, I'm not supposed to go beyond 60'. Some of the more interesting sounding dive sites around here are a little beyond that. Not that anyone would likely stop me, but drowning because I made a mistake is not on my to-do list.

I'm asking because when I took the NAUI Scuba class I was surprised by the 60' underwater swim I had to do. It was quite a struggle, and I ended up having to hire a swim instructor (albeit for only 30 mins) in order to get through it. I've done it 10 times or so now, I wouldn't call it easy but I can do it. I'm a better swimmer for having done it, but it was hugely stressful coming to the classes and repeatedly failing. I want to be better prepared going into another class.

I've got plenty of time for this, though because I plan to take the nitrox class next. The instructor (of the regular "scuba diver" class) repeatedly recommended it. I am just trying to get a jump on things if I've got some more swim practice ahead of me...

There's no swim tests in the Advanced class, so you can rest easy.

This is FUN class, you'll be sampling different types of diving environments and/or specialties under the guidance of a professional. You'll review your basic and rescue skills and build on what you've learned. There's a lot of interesting advanced, guided discussion on diving related topics: weighting, breathing, buoyancy, fitness, rough water, decision making, adaptations, dive planning, environmental conservation...

You'll log a minimum of 6 open water dives. The 3 required dives are Night (or low vis), Deep & Navigation. The remaining 3 dives you elect based on availability and interest; Search and Recovery, Boat diving, Light salvage, Hunting and collecting, Exploration and underwater mapping, Non-penetration wreck diving, Observation and data collection, Diving in surf or currents, Altitude diving, Salt water diving (in areas where most diving is in fresh water), Fresh water diving( in areas where most diving is in salt water), Shore diving, Diving for photos or videos, Using dive computers...Sound like fun?

Have a blast!

As stated earlier the Advanced course does not have a swim test requirement and as Jill pointed out there are 3 topics that are required to be covered and then the remainder is up to the instructor and student to determine. The best place to find the requirements for the course is the instructor you plan on taking it with as some will have different requirements for completion beyond the minimum placed by NAUI. The is a great class to refine techniques and get exposed to new ones.

Regardless of the swim requirement, it is a good idea to keep up your swimming both on the surface and underwater. Since you are involved in a water sport it might come in handy at some point in time.

Although the NAUI Advanced course does not have a swim test requirement, the instructor is free to require one.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

How many dives are required to start the Advance course? My wife is interested in this class but she just got certified.

How many dives are required to start the Advance course? My wife is interested in this class but she just got certified.

As far as I know there is no real "requirement" to speak of b/w the OW and AOW cert, but I would definitely suggest taking time to get some experience before jumping into AOW.

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

In response to your question, the following is taken from the NAUI Standards and Policies :

PREREQUISITES FOR ENTERING THE COURSE

Age. Minimum is 15 years (Junior certification for ages 10-14 years is allowed. See “Policies Applying to All Courses: Age, Junior Certification.&#8221:wink:

Dive Certification. Certification as a scuba diver by a NAUI recognized agency is required. The instructor is to carefully screen and evaluate all prospective students to assure that they understand diving safety and possess the necessary skills to participate. Curriculum and skills from other NAUI courses shall be used to evaluate and improve the diver’s knowledge and proficiency if necessary.

There is no required swim test for the AOW certification, but the Instructor may choose to evaluate a students readiness and fitness via different means.

Advanced used to be named Openwater 2. This promoted divers taking the 'Advanced' course immediately after 'Openwater 1' since it is the next logical progression. Then the wait was promoted more before Master which was formerly called 'Advanced'.

Even though the names have changed, I promote taking Advanced immediately after Scuba Diver. This allows for further skill review (mastery learning) and allows the diver to get more guided experience before gathering experience independently. With 11 dives under the guidance of an instructor (min 5 Scuba Diver plus 6 Advanced), divers will be much more prepared to dive without an instructor.

During the Advanced course, every diver performs a leadership role during at least one dive. Many do this in their Scuba Diver course already, but what better way to practice how to dive without an instructor.

I couldn't agree with Jill more. I've heard many recommend "getting more dives under your belt" before taking Advanced Diver, while this isn't bad advice; truth be told, there's really never a better time to take Advanced than right after your basic open water certification. Naui's Advanced diver continues honing your skills and broadens some of the existing skills (such as night diving, navigation, etc). Many diver's upon completion, although competent, continue to struggle with some of the basic skills (I mention navigation again because it was one I've seen MANY struggle with) and continuing your education is one of the easiest ways to improve your abilities and get more comfortable in the water. Being able to navigate a basic dive plan is a critical component to any dive and one that is sadly absent in many divers.
You can't go wrong with spending more time with an instructor and getting more practice diving!

I dunno, but I've been seeing a pattern in that more PADI/SSI divers suggest getting more dives in before taking Adv, where as NAUI divers say to go straight for it. I think it has to do with the class structure.

From my understanding PADI and SSI has you select your 6 specialties(or Adventures) for Adv; so in a sense they're kinda like taking separate classes for a total of 6 units to cover your Adv cert. Each specialty takes on as the main dive plan. So for Salvage you will be working with a lift bag, Navigation is navigating, DPV is working with a DPV, etc etc.
Because of this you're not truly focusing on your basic skills like buoyancy or navigation, so it would be better to hone those before taking on the PADI courses, IMO.

NAUI on the other hand is more about just diving. The Adv classes I've seen have the instructor setting up the dives and criteria (sometimes with student input/request), but it is more about just diving and getting experience. Usually the only new focus is a night dive, boat dive, and deep dive (the latter two I've seen being combined in one) and then navigation being put into each dive plan.

So my 2 cents is to go ahead and take the NAUI Adv as soon as you're ready.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom