Rescue aids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron Lee

Contributor
Reaction score

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The following discussion has been split off from the thread regarding the recent boat sinking off Cozumel and subsequent hours the passengers spent adrift waiting for rescue.

I just found the Nautilus Lifeline GPS/VHF radio online. Interesting device. Apparently it is rated to a depth of around 425 feet. It operates on Channel 16 which is stated to be a marine emergency channel. How many boats actively monitor that channel?

Are marine radios set up to monitor Channel 16 while using another channel?

Would cruise ships monitor that frequency?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it will also talk on other channels too, so you could use it for non emergency communications.

You are correct. I just found that it can switch to other channels.

I just found the Nautilus Lifeline GPS/VHF radio online. Interesting device. Apparently it is rated to a depth of around 425 feet. It operates on Channel 16 which is stated to be a marine emergency channel. How many boats actively monitor that channel?

My portable Marine radio can be tweaked to monitor 16 and another channel at the same time...
Channel 16 VHF is a radio frequency on the marine VHF radio band. It is used for shipping and maritime purposes, to call up ships and shore stations, and as an international distress frequency. After an initial response the call is to be switched to one of the working channels, except in case of emergency traffic. Channel 16 is used for broadcasting distress calls such as mayday, pan-pan, securite or other urgent safety messages. It is allied to the 2,182 kHz frequency

Proper procedure for any boat captain is to always have your marine radio on channel 16 when you are not using it, in order to monitor the emergency channel and be able to offer aid to anybody you're in range of hearing.

Channel 16 is the emergency channel and the hailing channel, so you can hail another using 16 and go to another channel to talk once you make contact. The coast guard always monitors channel 16. (US coast guard, Mexico? Who knows)

Good marine radios also have scanning capabilities of at least 2 channels and good ones even more. You're gonna find most dive ops use a specific channel, and other dive ops know who uses what channel, so the captain should have his marine radio either scanning back and forth between 16 and his 'home' channel incase the dive shop needs to reach him, or left on 16 at all times.

Commercial ships monitor 13 so to hail a cruise ship you'd probably want to use 13 and if no answer try 16.

This is all US procedures, most of this stuff is supposed to be followed internationally, but....

I've been on dive boats where they use cell phones for communications with their dive shop.

I wonder if anyone has ever stood on a dock, looked at the situation, and said, this is not safe?.

Myself and 3 dive buddies simultaneously looked at each other and thumbed the shark dive in Roatan years ago, took our gear off the boat at the dock before they left and wished all 35 of them well.

Thumbed the 2nd dive in Isla Mujeres with Enriques Unique Dives, told him to take us back in, felt we were in danger of losing our lives if we continued due to the conditions. He offered no refund or discount, so I offer having no problem talking about it.

How does it compare to a personal 406 Epirb?

personal locator beacon

All boats on the water are required to monitor channel 16... do they all turn on their vhf's... :shakehead: nope... even though the rules say they are required to... :depressed: let me rephrase that, most monitor channel 16. I run across power boats in a regular basis that don't even bother to turn on their radio.. it is frustrating.

Magnolia, I have a 406 MHz PLB which transmits my position and unique transmitter ID to search and rescue assets. There is no voice capability but should be useful in far more applications. The Nautilus Lifeline may have worked very well in the event discussed here. On the east side of Cozumel...maybe not.

My PLB is registered with NOAA and the unique ID in the signal ties it to me. My contact info, etc.

I see the Lifeline as a useful/great product with my limited research today.

EPIRB is a generic term for a maritime unit.
PLB is for personal use anywhere.
ELT is an aviation unit.

Google each for specific applications and characteristics. My guess is that a PLB as I have noted before might be best for most non-boat/aircraft users.

This should help you understand emergency beacons

http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/emerbcns.html

I am predicting that something will happen by years end. Cannot comment on it at this time.

Last edited:
How does it compare to a personal 406 Epirb?

personal locator beacon

This one is only rated to 33' for 10 minutes.. You will want to acquire a waterproof case for scuba diving, which are easy to obtain.
I currently own a SPOT locator with a waterproof case, and now the Nautilus. I'll use the Nautilus for diving in places such as Cozumel and other higher traffic sites. For diving well offshore or in remote locations, I would take an EPIRB or some other device that communicates bidirectionally with satellites and can provide the Coast Guard or any other rescuer with my exact position without regard to range to another vessel. After my SPOT subscription expires and I have plans for a nice offshore dive, I'll look into purchasing the McMurdo Fastfind with the Narc'd @ 90 case. Its larger than the Nautilus but there won't be any out of range issues with this setup anywhere you dive.

Magnolia, I have a 406 MHz PLB which transmits my position and unique transmitter ID to search and rescue assets. There is no voice capability but should be useful in far more applications. The Nautilus Lifeline may have worked very well in the event discussed here. On the east side of Cozumel...maybe not.

My PLB is registered with NOAA and the unique ID in the signal ties it to me. My contact info, etc.

I see the Lifeline as a useful/great product with my limited research today.

EPIRB is a generic term for a maritime unit.
PLB is for personal use anywhere.
ELT is an aviation unit.

Google each for specific applications and characteristics. My guess is that a PLB as I have noted before might be best for most non-boat/aircraft users.

This should help you understand emergency beacons

NOAA - Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking - Emergency BeaconsI am predicting that something will happen by years end. Cannot comment on it at this time.

I might be relatively new to the diving community, but I am not new to the Search & Rescue community. I have seen simular personal emergency devices used in Alaska for years. In an environment where airplanes go down weekly, if not daily during the summer, these have aided rescuers save many a life. When I was doing S&R with the Alaska Civil Air Patrol, and these beacons went off it made our jobs of finding the lost people much easier. We were able to triangulate right to the signal's origan. These systems are different from the ones each aircraft carry too (sometimes they do not go off if the aircraft is too badly damaged it the right spot). There are numerous stores that will rent these to the seasonal hunter/rafter/backpaacker/vacationer who go into the bush and find themselves in an emergency situation. The difference between when the signal is recieved by local officials and the US Air Force and when help arrives in just a mere hours...and if you need help with an emergency in the Alaskan Bush that is better then days or none at all.

Another thing that is great about them is that the signal goes directly to the right organizations; it is not passed along by foot and mouth.

I do not know much about the Nautilus Lifeline's functionality...but from this post and the ads I see, I think it would be well worth the investment...Just my opinion.

~ME~

I didn't know they rented those. Here is a waterproof that floats: $25 for a week: ACR Aqualink Rental

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom