rescue dive continued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sungod357

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thank for all the input. I am doing the aow class next month and I have spent most of my dives both exploring the scenery and spending specific time consintrating on my bc control. I do alot of spring/ow cavern dives like ginnie and blue grotto and devils den. Not that it will really prepare me for full cave/cavern but it can give me a stageing ground in which to train myself for good bc control and better movement control. Anyone that have been in the slough at ginnie springs knows that it dosent take much to silt that slit up to 0 vis in about two seconds. I am getting ready to take the bls instructor course also. I know that it a little ambitious to try all this at once, but I have a good handle on my als skill and want to become and open water instructor/rescue-stress dive instuctor in the next 3-4 years. I am reasonably comfortable with my diving skill at the moment and really want to share the knowlage with others. I'll look into the hyperbaric medicine, I would like to attempt to teach others how not to become a statistic.

It must be vastly frustrating to instuctors to read about diver deaths that could have been prevented by either proper training and/or not pushing the edge. There is a time and place to push the edge and those with the right trainning and proper mind set are the ones with the only real chance to survive. the others survive due to luck and luck always runs out. Like the signs say" there is nothing in this cave worth dying for"

I understand the appel and the draw that can occur in the water. I think we have all been there, either the first dive or the 20th ." I'ts not that much further, I'll just have a quick look". The first dive I planed after my class was to blue springs, orange city. My dive buddy and I sat and went through the numbers and got a good plan together, I have freedove this spring for years and was very interested in check some depths that I had marked mentally to see for far I was free diving. After the long hike to the spring we preped and began our decent. We looked around and got to the ow depth limit of 60 ft. And there it was... the opening to the headspring. I knew the total depth was only 120ft, not that much further..and I can see the opening so I'll be just fine....hmmmmmmm. I floated there..looking into that dark carvas, and thinking, everything horrible and terrifying that ever lived either in the water or in the dark or in and cave....is just down there, yet, more than ever, I want to go look. Lucky for me I measure life in to catagories, good and bad ideas. Although I was very tempted to continue exploring, I had already classifed this under the "bad idea that could discontinue ALL other ideas, permenatly. Since I had left my ego in my other wetsuit and forgot to pack a spare,...I contented myself to the ow limit and continued my exploration in the shallower water.

I'm sure that there are ballsy divers here that will say I'm a chump and blah blah blah..Thats fine. In two or three years, if your still diving, I'll be pulling you out of a hole you had not damn business being in anyway.

well its late and I've bored you all enough. I really appriciate all the input, the more, the better. Anyone interested in doing some dives, I would would love the oppertunity to learn anything anyone is willing to teach me.

thanks
sungod357

Very wise decision. The opportunity to teach others how not to become a statistic is there for you so long as you avoid becoming one yourself.

I used to be a marine inspector in the Coast Guard. It was said, "all the marine safety regulations are written in blood", meaning obviously they came to be after some casualty showed they were needed.

The same is true of all the "rules" and guidelines in the dive instruction books and courses. Follow the rules, it's a safe sport. Don't, and it isn't.

Best wishes in your dive career.

Back
Top Bottom