Rescue Dive. To log or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBFG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
ok so I'm doing my rescue course right now.

What's the consensus on logging in the short small dives that you do? The 5-10 min ones where you bring a diver to the surface, or do the short search and rescue.

Do people log those short dives or not?

According to the PADI manual, the two rescue scenarios should be logged as two dives. Is does not matter whether they are shorted than the minimum 20min usually required to log a dive

do you need to log dives for a course requirement ? if so what does the course stipulate - if not its personal choice - i dont log dives if im playing around practicing stuff

I've had maybe a half dozen 5-15 minute dives and logged them. The Rescue scenarios question came up here a few years ago. I recall more said they did log them than didn't. I logged mine. I don't recall what the course requirements said back in '06 and couldn't care less--I got my training and card. So if you take them and the half dozen others away I have 692 dives now instead of an even 700 (which occurred Friday). Major difference and something to ponder.....

Log book questions seem to pop up fairly often on SB. I pretty much log everything except pool dives (I did keep a separate record of that when I was DMing). I am curious as to why one would not log a normal length dive that was part of training. Not that it matters.

There have been many reasons cited for logging dives. My best one is to satisfy my OCD.

Last edited:
I logged the session as a single dive. I had comments I wanted to record and keeping two logs is a nuisance.

It is your log. Do what suits you.

I didn't log mine either. IN fact, after #500, I haven't logged a dive :)

I looked it up. I too logged the whole day as one dive (#26):
Deepest depth 15'
Total bottom time: 2 minutes (how long does it take to bring an unresponsive diver up from 15'?)
No. of scenarios: 3
Total PSI used (entire day): 300
Instructor did not sign log book, so I assume logging the scenarios was not a requirement of the course.
If I recall correctly, the other two scenarios dealt with surface stuff. On one scenario I was the guy in charge on the beach giving directions with the megaphone and dealing with O2, etc. Can't log either of those because they're not even dives.......

Last edited:
Here is the profile from mine - elapsed time was 74 minutes, but you can see the actual bottom time was much less! Several scenarios were incorporated into other "real" dives.

Screenshot_20170916-235042.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom