Rescue Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btscott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Taking rescue diver course for possible FP trip as they have weird dive rating system IMHO. Regardless, signed up for class. Question... am wrong to thinks it's weird to charge for tanks for the class. Never had any extra charges for OWA, AOW or Nitrox.

What is a "FP trip"?
Most Rescue classes don't even use one complete tank. So not a real issue. Whether it is included or not is a question of the price of the class and its structure. For example, many folks at the Rescue level may already own a tank, and they don't want to pay extra for one.

French Polynesia

Ahhh, so you are looking at CMAS ratings?

Yes, CMAS. I guess not a bad class to take. But, both wife and I have taken swift water rescue, I'm a Paramedic and she is an ED Doc. So, kind of superfluous. But, whatever... Regardless, thought the charging extra for tanks was a little silly.

I suspect it goes back to the shop presuming by the time you're going for Rescue, you own your own tanks. Giving them to you "free" means the cost is born by other divers in the class.

That said, costs should be stated up front. One shop may charge a really low amount for a class, but then nickel and dime you on rentals. Another may package it all up. Different students get a better deal depending on how much gear they own. I'm pretty sure the folks I work with would charge you to rent the tank, though you might sneak one out with a nod and a wink from a kindly employee. They don't build gear rental into the Rescue Diver cost. But they also offer a good package deal on renting suit, BCD, reg, weights, and tank. You'd only really notice the tank cost if that was the one piece you didn't own.

You've got good diving near you; why not buy cylinders?

Whatever the going rate in FP is, is what you will need to pay. Tank charge or not. I would not sweat it. The Dive Shop needs to make some money, and they have not been making much money lately, I assume.

With your professional creds, do you think a Solo combined with a tech course would be a good idea? My Solo training along with my PADI Tech 40 did the most for me. The rest, not so much. I am not discounting Rescue, it is a good course. Just say'n!

I was a trained AWSA safety swimmer for tournaments. While rescue is a different animal, many of the concepts are the same.

cheers,
m

I think it's weird. Then again, I've never given thought to anyone not using their own tanks for a Rescue Course. But, different situation if you're flying somewhere for sure.

I just paid course fee...everything was included.

Taking course in Bay Area prior to going to French Polynesia. Not really interest in cold diving, so don't need own tanks. Always fly to diving with mostly liveaboard diving.

Back
Top Bottom