Rescue Diver Gear Evaluation - Streamline vs Capability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BHWookie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to train in rescue diver in a few months, so I'm currently re-evaluating my gear setup and looking to upgrade some items and I think I have a few questions.

Here is my current gear:
  • BCD: SP KnightHawk w/Air 2
  • Reg: SP Mk11 / R395
  • Octo: Aqualung ABS
  • Computer: Mares Smart Wrist Computer
  • Console: Tusa 3-guages (depth, pressure, compass)
Here are my planned upgrades:
  • Reg: keep the 1st stage, but get a S600 2nd stage - the R395 has a metal part that keeps popping loose and I feel like it breathes a little heavy.
  • Computer: Upgrade to a Suunto D5 w/ Pod Transmitter so that I have an air-integrated and rechargable wrist computer.
So, these here are my questions as it pertains to being streamlined...

First, to really take advantage of the air-integrated computer, it would be awesome if I could completely remove the line to the console... but I feel like I should still keep at least an SPG in my BCD pocket as a backup. Any recommendations to make this as unobtrusive as possible, since I would only want to use it in emergencies?

Second, I would like to just remove my Octopus line as well to really streamline my setup, since I already have the Air2 built into the BCD. But I feel like I should have a nice, accessible octo on a long hose for buddy breathing during rescue training... how annoying is it to swap regs when sharing air? I've practiced and had no issues, but never had to do it in a real-world situation. If the recommendation is to keep the Octo, are there any ideas to best organize it on my Knighthawk? I have a clip with silicone ring holding the mouthpeice in place, but I feel like its pretty dangly right now, and would be even more so if I added a longer hose.

If you've kept up with me this far, thanks in advance for any tips or recommendations. :)

Take the class in how you plan on normally diving.

I personally use an air 2 with my primary on a 44" hose. The extra length makes donating the primary easier and I like running it under my arm instead of over my shoulder. Donate the primary and you breath off the air 2. It's not the most comfortable of things to do, but it gets the job done.

If you want to run a normal octopus, look into running it on a necklace.

You can run just an spg as a pressure backup to your dive computer. I do, and keep it clipped off to my hip. It only ever really gets used when setting up gear before a dive to check pressure. I've contemplated leaving it in my save a dive kit in case my transmitter dies instead of keeping it attached.

Take the class in how you plan on normally diving.

I personally use an air 2 with my primary on a 44" hose. The extra length makes donating the primary easier and I like running it under my arm instead of over my shoulder. Donate the primary and you breath off the air 2. It's not the most comfortable of things to do, but it gets the job done.

If you want to run a normal octopus, look into running it on a necklace.

You can run just an spg as a pressure backup to your dive computer. I do, and keep it clipped off to my hip. It only ever really gets used when setting up gear before a dive to check pressure. I've contemplated leaving it in my save a dive kit in case my transmitter dies instead of keeping it attached.

Ah, thanks for the info, that is really helpful! I think I'll look for a longer hose for my primary as well, and I like the idea of running it under my arm, it sounds like that would be more comfortable and effective for sharing - I assume you would want a swivel connector on the 2nd stage at that point too?

I had to google the octopus necklace concept, but after taking a look I'm not sure if I would like that. I think I'd be bothered by it being so close to my neck. I am also curious about how difficult it would be to inflate / deflate the BCD while breathing off of the Air 2... I guess I'll have to play with it in a pool or on a shallow dive before completely committing to removing the Octo.

I've thought about getting rid of the SPG altogether too, but I want some level of redundancy in case the computer or the transmitter dies. Not sure how necessary it is for simple recreational dives with buddies nearby at all times - but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Ah, thanks for the info, that is really helpful! I think I'll look for a longer hose for my primary as well, and I like the idea of running it under my arm, it sounds like that would be more comfortable and effective for sharing - I assume you would want a swivel connector on the 2nd stage at that point too?

I had to google the octopus necklace concept, but after taking a look I'm not sure if I would like that. I think I'd be bothered by it being so close to my neck. I am also curious about how difficult it would be to inflate / deflate the BCD while breathing off of the Air 2... I guess I'll have to play with it in a pool or on a shallow dive before completely committing to removing the Octo.

I've thought about getting rid of the SPG altogether too, but I want some level of redundancy in case the computer or the transmitter dies. Not sure how necessary it is for simple recreational dives with buddies nearby at all times - but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

I got rid of my Air2. I hated it. I swapped for a normal inflator hose and went to long his with bungee backup. The second stage on a bungee will not bother you as you think it will. It is almost unnoticeable.

As for redundancy on the transmitter, what current redundancy do you have for your SPG now? None right? So why do you need it for the transmitter? If it fails, you thumb the dive same as if the SPG failed. I dive Sidemount and use two transmitters and no SPGs at all.

The rescue course is a great course. It can be exhausting but in the end, other than my tech course, it was the most rewarding. Good luck!

As for redundancy on the transmitter, what current redundancy do you have for your SPG now? None right? So why do you need it for the transmitter? If it fails, you thumb the dive same as if the SPG failed.

That is a really valid point that I had never considered before... hmm. I guess working with software has lead me to distrust a purely digital solution - but in case of failure, I would head right back up with my buddy, they can help lead the safety stop and share air if needed. I think I agree it probably isn't worth lugging around the extra hose.

I'm really looking forward to the Rescue Diver training, everyone seems to say it is one of the most valuable courses! I want to feel more confident that I could help make a difference in an emergency, but pray I never need to actually use those skills.

You've donated your primary but how are you going to deflate your BCD during an ascent while buddy breathing if the Air2 is in your mouth?

A few thoughts:
  1. Do you ever dive cold water, below 50°F/10°C? If so, be sure that all your regulators are rated for cold water use. I don't know the Scubapro line, but that definitely means replace the ABS and the Air2. (I have never found a combo inflator/octo that claims it can be used in cw, and based on the very nature of the beast I don't expect to ever see one rated as such in the future.)
  2. Before you kit up with new gear, find out what the environment will be like for your Rescue course. If you are poking around in the muck and the silt, maybe accumulating sand in your gear, keep your old stuff in place until after the course.
  3. Yes, think through (and even practice) how you would vent air on an ascent using your Air2. Do you have a right shoulder dump? Is there a small operating lever on the left shoulder dump? If neither, are you prepared to remove your regulator from your mouth on an ascent in order to dump air? (Or will you even forget you need to do so in an emergency, and bob to the surface too quickly because you are stressed and don't have the muscle memory for that specific scenario?)

Even though I was in the process of changing gear and configurations, I took Rescue course with the old gear and configuration I had been diving for the five years prior to the training. I figured that in order to get the most out of the training, I wanted to avoid dealing with "muscle memory" issues due to using the new gear when stressed. After the fact I knew I made the right choice. YMMV.

Bob

As I recall the rescue course not only taught me now skills it also taught me to use my entire skillset when stressed. It was one of the best courses I have ever taken.
Keep your gear as it is now. You will have plenty to think about besides learning how to use a new configuration and operation of new equipment.
Good luck with your course.

Cheers -

Dive with the gear you are comfortable and already use. You will be able to decide after the course if you need to adjust any of your gear. Anyway in real life emergencies you react with the gear you have you dont really plan for it. Personally, I like better the octo set up just clipped to my vest with reg length hose. I'm personally considering going ai and loosing all the left side hoses. Like everything else, if it fails I'l just go up Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom