Rescue diver training at CCV????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midge907

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was thinking about doing my rescue certification while at Coco View in January. Does anyone have any expierience or input with doing this certification while on vacation at CCV?

Yes, the Rescue Diving course is pretty much-so a constant at CoCoView. The owner of the co-located dive shop and PADI training facility is a fine instructor. Patty Grier has been involved with PADI since it's early days, but somehow doesn't look that old... truth is- she started out as a young pup and developed several PADI programs.

I think Rescue Diver is a great program for everyone to have taken- yet doing it while on vacation in paradise absolutely befuddles me. CoCoView is a place where divers come to do 5x a day and can't get enough of the house reef.

If you want to do some diver education, I simply do not know of a better instructor... she sees how others learn.
P1011029-1.jpg

If you do alot a diving in Alaska then you should consider doing rescue there and not COCO View.

Take the class where you do the vast majority of your diving so that you will learn about "situations" unique to the locale you dive.

The class is well worth it.

I'm with David on this one.
Rescue is a great class but it is also 2 intense days. Rather than waste 2 full days of diving....and maybe a 3rd to recover..while on vacation is a waste of vacation IMO. Plus, doing it at home will most likely add some local twist like handling a drysuit. Do rescue at home and spend your time at CCV diving.

I just returned from a week at CoCo View and breifly watched a senerio being performed. Not sure if it was from a rescue class or part of a DM course, I was to busy diving to pay that much attention.
While I was kicking out to the Prince Albert I pondered breifly how much fun it would be do conduct a rescue class there and have a missing diver on the Prince Albert or under one of the ledges on CoCo View or Newmans Wall instead of some silty, cold lake that I use.

I am in the group that a diver should consider taking a class like rescue in the conditions they are most likely to dive. If your plans are to dive primarily in warm tropical waters, then I say go for it. I am sure Patty could teach you a thing or two.
I for one would hate to be you, spending a day upstairs in the classroom, looking out at the view, seeing the boats heading off to the reef or watching divers come back from a drop off dive.
I would be afraid I would get to distracted. Ohhh look, a seahorse. Ahh what the heck we'll find Joe later.

Taking the Rescue Class where you dive is a good idea, I agree with the other posters. Tim at Coco View puts on a great U/W Photo class.

Thanks for the replies, I have officially been talked into just doing the rescue training with my LDS. It does make a lot more sense for me to do the water portions of the class in my drysuit. If I were to do it on vacation, I would of planned on doing the book work on Padi online. Thanks for your input guys, I think I will plan on just diving, diving, and diving.

Now there is a prefect plan to have at CCV.
Enjoy your trip.....and rescue if you can, it's a hard couple of days. Our instructors say if you don't go home beat, bruised and exhausted we have not done our job. It is one of the best classes you will take.

I'm really glad to hear that. I'm with everyone else on this. You'd find me with Scott pointing happily at the sea horse. It's just too beautiful of a place and my rescue course was way too intense to do there. I was beat, bruised and exhausted and wanted a vacation when it was done!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom