Rescue or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey man brilliant that's admirable you gotta do what you can do in as many circumstances
as you can do them, but if I find a diver at depth, reg out unconscious and unresponsive it's
my welfare I'm addressing and if we get to the surface and I have any energy left to perform
CPR or anything else I'll also be ready for the first person that comes across that arcs up and
says why didn't you perform cpr longer more than likely I'll tie a line around the dead guys toe

In context

In my personal water related water rescue experiences (ocean lifeguard and white water guide) I have performed CPR 3 times with 2 of those having positive outcomes. A 6 year old girl trapped in an Eddy under a waterfall and an ocean rescue of a middle aged man that lived because of efforts made and CPR performed. So it's not true that they are most likely dead and going to stay that way

Hey man brilliant that's admirable you gotta do what you can do in as many circumstances
as you can do them, but if I find a diver at depth, reg out unconscious and unresponsive it's
my welfare I'm addressing and if we get to the surface and I have any energy left to perform
CPR or anything else I'll also be ready for the first person that comes across that arcs up and
says why didn't you perform cpr longer more than likely I'll tie a line around the dead guys toe

In context
I think what you're saying is that an unconscious diver at depth with reg out is very likely dead and that your own safety is now the priority. Agree. Only exception may be if it's your buddy who goes unconscious and you are right there when it happens. Need more punctuation in your post.

I think what you're saying is that an unconscious diver at depth with reg out is very likely dead and that your own safety is now the priority. Agree. Only exception may be if it's your buddy who goes unconscious and you are right there when it happens. Need more punctuation in your post.
Punctuation? Who needs punctuation?

"Let's eat Grandma!" :D

Reactions: Zef
In my personal water related water rescue experiences (ocean lifeguard and white water guide) I have performed CPR 3 times with 2 of those having positive outcomes. A 6 year old girl trapped in an Eddy under a waterfall and an ocean rescue of a middle aged man that lived because of efforts made and CPR performed. So it's not true that they are most likely dead and going to stay that way
Nope. Your sample is too small to prove anything (apart from that in your experience with CPR, two out of three cases were successful). Do a survey of hundreds of cases, and maybe you can draw a more accurate conclusion. I suspect it won't find 67% successful resuscitations from in field CPR. But that's not even the point. The point is that good people try. Regardless of whether it's hard or might be futile.

Nope. Your sample is too small to prove anything (apart from that in your experience with CPR, two out of three cases were successful). Do a survey of hundreds of cases, and maybe you can draw a more accurate conclusion. I suspect it won't find 67% successful resuscitations from in field CPR. But that's not even the point. The point is that good people try. Regardless of whether it's hard or might be futile.

Bystander CPR improves survival.

According to 2014 data, nearly 45 percent of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest victims survived when bystander CPR was administered.

The majority of Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrests (OHCA) occurs at public settings (18.8 percent), mostly homes/residences (69.5%) and nursing homes (11.7%).

My uneducated, pulling this hypothesis out of a dark place, thinks that cardiac arrest during scuba diving brings down the survival rate (though just slightly due to the percentage of time cardiac arrest happens then vs. other scenarios).

I'm not saying my personal experience is a good sample size. I believe my training stated that it is around 40% success rate for lifeguard rescues involving CPR. But I can tell that my personal success rate made a world of difference to the 67% that were successful.

From: Survival of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest with early initiation of cardiopulmonary resuscitation. - PubMed - NCBI

The benefit of this early CPR, however, appears to exist within a rather narrow window of effectiveness. It must be started within 4-6 minutes from the time of collapse and must be followed within 10-12 minutes of the collapse by advanced life support in order to be effective.

No information on how quickly success rates decline each minute, and I won't say that there is no diver who suffered cardiac arrest who was successfully brought to the surface and reached shore/a boat in 10 minutes who didn't survive. I just don't think it is likely. It is exhausting to haul someone out of the water in cold water gear. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try, but just teach our students to seek assistance in the likely event that the person doesn't make it.

I’m 0 for 20 in performing CPR for what it’s worth. That’s as a cop, a former EMT and a 20 year volunteer firefighter. I give good CPR as confirmed by the EKG and I’ve even had shockable rhythms and been able to use an AED a couple times. At the end of the day, if you’re giving someone CPR then you need to mentally accept that the person won’t be coming back.

At the end of the day, if you’re giving someone CPR then you need to mentally accept that the person won’t be coming back.
And sometimes they come back, which is why one should always try to perform CPR until trained medical personnel have arrived.

One of my colleagues had a rather massive heart attack some years ago. He was kept "alive" by CPR until the EMT crew showed up and is now back to work after a triple (or quadruple, I'm not sure) bypass operation.

Hey man brilliant that's admirable

you gotta do what you can do

in as many circumstances

as you can do them

but if I find a diver at depth reg out

unconscious and unresponsive

it's my welfare I'm addressing

and if we get to the surface

and I have any energy left to perform

CPR or anything else

I'll also be ready for the first person

that comes across that arcs up