Rescue scuba diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am about to start a rescue scuba diver course PADI in my case. I noticed from previous courses that if I collect info before this doesn't seem to "spoil" the course. I mean I feel I can still manage to follow my own instructor who could have a slightly different approach without being influenced by what others already told me

What are the main topics and skills to learn in this course? Based on your experience, which suggestions would you give to those who take it? For example, common mistakes, or skills that people could learn but not be able to apply when it's really necessary, etc.

Thanks

find a buddy who is a smaller size than you so you can carry them with ease :D

I would do the opposite :) I think it's a good idea to "try" hard situations during courses, because if they happen in real life, one is ready to tackle them.

I would also discuss a lot with the instructor to be sure that he is a good one. Another important point is that rescue can be a lot of fun: be sure that you enjoy it.

Are you doing it in Italy? May I ask you when and where?

I am about to start a rescue scuba diver course PADI in my case. I noticed from previous courses that if I collect info before this doesn't seem to "spoil" the course. I mean I feel I can still manage to follow my own instructor who could have a slightly different approach without being influenced by what others already told me

What are the main topics and skills to learn in this course? Based on your experience, which suggestions would you give to those who take it? For example, common mistakes, or skills that people could learn but not be able to apply when it's really necessary, etc.

Thanks
A few points which may seem obvious, but...

1 Stop, breathe, think then act. People do strange things when the adrenaline starts flowing. A few extra seconds to evaluate and plan a course of action. It can make all the difference.

2 Get your sh!t together! No, I don't mean that in a rude way, I mean literally get your kit all together and in easy reach. It's always funny to watch rescue students racing around looking for a fin here, a fin there, mask over there... Each time you exit the water make sure your kit is built, tested and ready before you take a break. That goes for rescue kit as well. There's no point grabbing the O2 only to find the cylinder is empty or the continuous flow hose is missing.

3. Work together as a team. It's quite normal to see one person take over and try to manage everything whilst others stand by and let them get on with it. Don't be afraid to delegate, and that can be to bystanders as well.

4. Don't get in the water unless you have too! A shore or boat entry is always a better option.

5 Listen carefully to the site brief, particularly the safety section. Where are the life rings, throw lines, etc. If not available, what other items can you use.

6 Do not, I mean DO NOT, get within reach of a panicked diver. Get too close and the panicked diver (usually a DM) will see you as fair game.

7. Enjoy it. This will be your opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them. Nobody does a perfect rescue, but after the course you'll be in a much better position to help either yourself or someone else.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Few suggestions:
1. Don't over react, remember is a training course. Take your time to evaluate and plan accordingly based on what you have learned from the book
2. Prepare beforehand and have everything you need ready to go and all in one place. That includes the rescue kit, line, oxygen, etc
3. Sometimes the easiest step is the appropriate step, i.e.; use a rope or line yard instead of swimming out to buddy!
4. Have "FUN" after all is a training class, don't stress
5. It is ok to make mistakes, that's what the training is for. In my case we were at 25ft and the instructor was unresponsive. I overinflated his BCD and way he went shooting up into the sky!~ o_O

I tell all my rescue students to concentrate on the fact that a recreational rescue diver course DOES NOT make you a PSD diver. There are things you can do, yes, but many more you can't or shouldn't.
A good rescue class will be as much, if not more, about preventing you from having to use the in-water skills as it is about getting wet.
Prevention starts on the surface before you even put the wet or dry suit on and get the gear assembled.
That's where recreational rescue divers make a bigger difference.
The more real the class, the better. People say my class is fun, but I don't intend it to be. It is intense and I throw multiple scenarios at them they are not aware of beforehand.
At least two pool sessions before open water.
If you do not practice the skills on a somewhat regular basis after the class you only have a card that says Rescue Diver.
Hopefully, they will cover the after-effects of a rescue on the rescuers and witnesses. Simple Post Traumatic Stress is a real issue to be aware of. I wrote an article on it that has been published by XRay magazine and on the Shearwater blog. It's also included in my second book on Advanced Training.
Realize that reality is much different than the class. Things move faster and there are real consequences to mistakes.
Some things you will be taught have to be taught but in reality, once the adrenalin starts flowing and conditions get less than ideal, doing what was taught in the class may not help and may do more injury. In-water rescue breaths is a good example. Nice feel good for the rescuer idea but may delay actual proper care on a hard surface. One of those unless you practice it regularly it may be a waste of valuable time and do more harm items.
Expect to be humbled by it and have questions after about your ability to effect an actual rescue. Normal. It helps to realize your limits and the limits of the training.
Expect a good class to in some ways change your attitude about diving. I had one student tell me, somewhat jokingly, that it ruined some parts of his. He can't get on a boat or go to a dive site and just have fun from the start. He has to look at every person and kit to see if there's a chance that person is a risk to themselves or others.
He used to just get on, gear up, and zone out till the "pool is open." Not now.
Realize that mistakes in class can turn a planned scenario into a genuine accident and try to see them before they happen.
Talk to your instructor with any concerns before or after the class.

I found that having good buoyancy made a big difference during my course. Otherwise if you are packing too much weight, you will be exerting yourself more than necessary during the surface swim and rescue segments.

Keep in mind that you may actually have to use these skills in the future. In short, the rescue course should not be looked at simply ticking another box. Otherwise, lots of good suggestions above.

If you have a pair of divers doing a search pattern, and another diver finds the victim, please go tell the searchers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom