Rescue Squad saves trapped dam diver - North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Another news article stated: "Responders from Avery Sherriff’s Office, Avery EMS, Avery Emergency Management, Beech Mountain Police Department, Beech Mountain Volunteer Fire Department, Beech Mountain Utilities, Carter County Tennessee Water Rescue, Carolina Water Department, Elk Park VFD, Linville VFD, Linville Central Rescue, Red Cross and Watauga Emergency Management worked together to aid the rescue."

Sucked into a pipe and trapper sounds about as scary as it gets! I can't get the text to copy & paste, so you'll have to follow the link...

Carter County Rescue Squad helps save diver stuck underwater at Buckeye Lake

911 called at 7 and rescue team shows up at 8:30? Am I reading this correctly? His SAC rate must be phenomenal!

911 called at 7 and rescue team shows up at 8:30? Am I reading this correctly? His SAC rate must be phenomenal!
He was 22 feet deep. I don't think I could have survived that long on a single 80 cf tank, especially after the panic of being sucked and trapped.

I suspect the dive team isn't exactly a rescue team. It's likely more of a recovery team. This may well be the first rescue they ever had. But still, nice work.

And I'd guess SS too, or a rebreather.

A news story from the following days says that they had to drain the reservoir to repair the valve and the town is rationing water. No dish washing, no clothes washing allowed.

For the victim to be able to remain calm enough to survive is phenomenal. The response time of the rescue squads is not bad either. Carter County Rescue is an hour away from Buckeye Lake on a good day. Make it dark and driving those mountain roads in rescue vehicles is a trick in itself. Sounds like everyone involved did a great job.

After looking for some more information it sounds as if his leg or legs got sucked into the pipe and not his whole body. Either way they both would be scary as heck. Information is sort of scarce so it is hard to get a factual accounting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom