Rescue type question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have question about dealing with a rescue situation....the scenario is a 16 year old diver who was approaching a tank pressure that the pre-dive brief indicated they should start heading towards the surface but instead refused to ascend and instead continued to hug the bottom. The person responsible for this diver insisted on the two heading towards the surface with the 16yo resisting. In order to gain control of the situation and get the 16yo diver to stop resisting the 16yo's mask was flooded....this seemed to work well in getting the 16yo to stop resisting and for the person taking them to the surface to do so at a controlled ascent rate and able to conduct a proper safety stop at 5 meters. While uncomfortable for the 16yo it helped the other diver control the situation...does anyone else have any experience using this technique or can anyone comment on it based on the info presented?

Thanks,
Z

sounds similar to active victims when lifeguarding where you will dunk there head in the water to shake them back to reality. Not saying I would do it, but I can see why it worked. I'm big enough where you will be hard pressed to fight back. What was the debrief like? Would love to hear the 16yo's rationale on not following the dive plan...

I do not yet see the rescue situation. Just being annoying by not following orders does not yet make him a rescue victim and does not justify incapacitating him IMHO, potentially causing panic and a dive accident. Was he really at danger before you flooded his mask?

Approaching turn pressure is not AT turn pressure, so why should he turn the dive?

Anyone who has or had a teenage son understands this post very well. Wow, do I remember those days. And a very similar situation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone can thumb the dive, at any time, for any reason.

Duh.
But that isn't remotely what the poster said, now is it?
If the POSTER wanted to thumb the dive, fine, he should thumb the dive and ascend.
No, what the POSTER said was that the other person should have turned the dive because they were approaching the turn pressure.

Did you read the post, or are you just practicing your non-sequiturs?

I am having trouble understanding the scenario and the reason for the action. First, was this a parent and son? If a son, was there any issue or history with son to suggest the son could not make an ascent decision on his own. What factors were present ie, what was the dive scenario, where you in tropical water in shallow depth with no overhead restriction, were you deep inside a wreck at depth? More information is needed to understand the action and to be able to comment on it. TK

Duh.
But that isn't remotely what the poster said, now is it?

Actually, *I* did read the post, and yes, it's what he said. He said the person responsible for the 16 y/o thumbed the dive. You then asked why the 16 y/o should turn the dive. The answer is: Because his buddy thumbed the dive. No further reason is needed.

Okay, what am I missing here. Simply because your buddy ignores your request to surface are you saying it is SOP to pull his mask and drag him up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom