Rescue type question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO flooding someone's mask is escalating the situation. It creates trouble, risk and difficulties that didn't need to happen. Scared people are dangerous and you never know what kind of relatively minor thing might make someone get a bit unglued.

Escalation feels gratifying when you are the annoyed party, but it very rarely makes the situation better.
Maybe that's what the guy had in mind when he dreamed up that old bit about revenge best being served cold.

I think that there are situations that call for a forced ascent - not sure that this is one of them. Also, this sounds more like a forced thumbing with a normal ascent, rather than dragging someone up rapidly enough to cause pulmonary barotrauma.

I am curious - and this is an exaggeration - if by chance the person freaked and you drag them up while they are holding their breath - for those that think this is ok - how would you feel?
What would be your defense when the person is seriously hurt and more importantly not dead and can recant the story of you forcing them to the surface?

I understand the parent child relationship but I think I would have shaken them and taken control but flooding a mask and forcing them to the surface just sounds like a recipe for disaster...
On the surface is the time to chew their ear off and give them the consequences for the actions - no? :confused:

Exactly! Which is why as a father I totally support "yank your kid out of the water" (figuratively). If it was just another diver I would have given her the 1 finger salute and went solo.

But leave the mask in place right. You do want her to see that she is being yanked out of the water right. :)

Quote pinched from someone else:
Lots of couples say, "We want a baby."

I never heard one say, "We want a teen-ager."
-- Ruth Moore, private communication

But leave the mask in place right. You do want her to see that she is being yanked out of the water right. :)

Correct. I wouldn't suggest pulling the mask off but to be fair it shouldn't be a problem for a properly trained diver to have their mask pulled off either. It's just that there are better ways of handling the situation but god help anyone who has a teenage daughter.

I agree that flooding the mask was a bad decision and could have had dire results. I personally would have tried the "Tank Cradle" position that was mentioned by another poster. It proves fairly effective when done properly. If she had continued to fight in a manner I found unmanageable, I would have just taken her fins off and ascended with them. Without fins she's dead in the water and is gonna burn any remaining air pretty fast if she tries to do any descending or swimming with her hands. When I went through my DM program we used to ambush one another with all sorts of shenanigans. If they managed to get your fins, it was game over.

Last edited:
I agree that removing the mask was a bad decision and could have had dire results.

The OP never said he removed his daughter's mask. He said he flooded it. Last time I checked, the latter doesn't require the former.

Right or wrong decision of the OP, don't base your evaluation of that on hyperbole. There is a tendency on this board to turn a couple of feathers into, if not five hens so at least a couple of drumsticks.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

was discussing this thread and the events that led to its creation with my wife last night and our 16yo overheard the conversation and was quick to point out that by the time she approached the guide her SPG was registering @40 bar. If she was not a straight A student I would be taking her to have a CT scan to verify what is between her ears.

Also, to confirm, I never removed her mask...just pulled the top forward to flood it.

-Z

was discussing this thread and the events that led to its creation with my wife last night and our 16yo overheard the conversation and was quick to point out that by the time she approached the guide her SPG was registering @40 bar.

So did you ask which part she failed to understand: "head up at 48 bar" or "40 < 48"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom