Research - Common Fatalities of Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRN6559

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I decided to do some research on a topic that interests me. No, not because I have any desire to do so myself but I am curious about it once I began to read some articles concerning it, mishaps, close calls and even deaths.

I’m curious what the #1 cause is of solo diving? OOA? Entanglenent?

I decided to do some research on a topic that interests me. No, not because I have any desire to do so myself but I am curious about it once I began to read some articles concerning it, mishaps, close calls and even deaths.

I’m curious what the #1 cause is of solo diving? OOA? Entanglenent?
Are you confusing buddy separation and solo diving. There's a difference.

While there isn't evidence to back up my speculation here they are:

1. Unconscious, some medical condition or concussion which would need a buddy to render aid.
2. Medical crisis requiring another person to intervene.
3. Dive plan error/ miscalculation with no buddy to sanity check the plan.
4. Sirens take them, no buddy to sacrifice.

A well trained and equipped solo diver faces few risks unique to not having a buddy.

If the articles are on line, could you link to them so we have an idea where you are coming from. As for most diving related deaths, it is hard to get accurate information.

Most of my hair raising incidents have involved other divers, as I get quite careful when solo diving.

Bob

Last edited:
According to DAN's latest statistics for diving deaths in 2015, 12% were solo divers.
The 2015 fatalities’ root causes (also known as triggers, mechanisms, disabling injury, and causes of death), could not be established in 33 of the 67 cases (49%), mostly because of missing information and inconclusive investigative results. Among the 34 cases (51%) for which such information was available, the most common triggers were an underlying health problem (15%) and running low on or being out of air (6%).
There have been many cases of double fatalities when a would-be rescuer died. Being alone in the water is never listed as a cause of death.

In 2014 15% were lobster diving. Many of them involved running out of air trying to get that last bug as well as heart attacks, possibly from over exertion. Most of the causes of diver deaths are not related to having another diver alongside. Medical emergencies happen any time whether you are underwater, on the freeway or in bed. There is never an excuse for running out of air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom