Reserving with Scuba Shack in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba JoMarie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I am currently in the process of trying to reserve a place with the Scuba Shack in Coz.

Does anyone have an experience diving or reserving with them?

In order to reserve a room, they've asked me to send a deposit through ZellePay or send a check. ZellePay feature does not work on my mobile app, so I sent a check. A friend of mine tried to send their deposit through ZellePay and it also did not work. So, he called his bank to ask why this may be the case.

Basically, the bank said to wary about sending a check.
I just want to know if these guys are legit operation and I am not getting scammed by sending my money off. Also, that by the time I make it down to Cozumel, I actually will have a reservation and a place to stay.

Thanks for all your help!

If the place you want to dive with only has "ZellePay" or "Mail a check" options for a deposit, it's time to find a different dive shop.

That's silly, unless you have a problem with Paypal, Xoom, Google Cash, Cash App, Venmo, Apple Pay, ect, ect, ect.

I don't like Zelle as I find it too unwieldy, and expensive.

Now if they're asking you to send a check to Mexico ---- but I doubt that's the case.

That's silly, unless you have a problem with Paypal, Xoom, Google Cash, Cash App, Venmo, Apple Pay, ect, ect, ect.

I don't like Zelle as I find it too unwieldy, and expensive.

Now if they're asking you to send a check to Mexico ---- but I doubt that's the case.

You find Zelle unwieldy and expensive? It's FREE - LOL I also find it the most reliable because it's what the bank actually uses.

Venmo doesn't work here either for reference to anyone who likes Venmo

Scuba Shack is a legitimate operation - the owner's name is Roberta and she has been in business for 20ish years. I'm assuming they gave you a USA address to send the check to because we cannot deposit a check in a Mexican account drawn on a US bank - has to be done by transfer if going to a MX bank in my experience. But I offer Paypal, Zelle, Google Pay, Pop money, or direct bank deposit for my customers to submit deposits - they are all just processing hosts.

I've been diving with Scuba Shack and have friends that dive there, and stay at Village Tan Kah, yearly. Completely legit. I'm assuming the room you're booking is at Village Tan Kah. You'll find it extremely convenient for your diving as Scuba Shack and the dock are right across the street from VTH, and there are no stairs to contend with. I stay at Casa del Mar, right next door, but usually rent shore tanks from Roberta. You're fine. No need to worry about Village Tan Kah or Scuba Shack.

You find Zelle unwieldy and expensive? It's FREE - LOL I also find it the most reliable because it's what the bank actually uses.

Sorry, in my haste I confused Zelle with Pop Money. LOL. It's really not that expensive at 95 cents, but compared to the lions share of other mobile payment apps, which are free, they annoy me. LOL.

As a credit union member yes, I find it (Zelle) unwieldy. LOL. If I banked and the other party banked with one of the major banks, (Chase, Capitol One, B of A, Wells, ect), I have heard that it works very well. People have sent me money using Zelle, and the funds have been debited to their account immediately, but I've never received the money. Everyone has had to wait for the system, and sure enough, the funds are credited to the senders account 3 days later. Yes, both parties have been properly and completely registered with Zelle.

Re: Venmo Yes, their policies are that you have to be in the US, and have a US phone number to use the service.

Well, sorta.

I have T-Mobile, which remains a US phone when I'm in Mexico.

Two years ago, I received money in my Venmo account, but could not transfer it to my Credit Union until our return. This year, I received a Venmo payment, (first part of April), and was able to transfer it to my Credit Union without issue.

PS I did not know that banks used a mobile payment app. Thank you for that information.

No, I don't have a problem with Paypal, Xoom, Google Pay (not Google Cash), Cash App, Venmo or Apple Pay, I use several of them daily....but they aren't options....just ZellePay or mailing a check.

and unless " ect, ect, ect." is some obscure money transfer service, I'm assuming you mean "etc."

I bank with Wells Fargo since they bought an old bank here, but I've never used Zelle. I've asked a couple of merchants about accepting it, but their bank didn't use it - or maybe they didn't want to register. Many Ops around the Caribbean have U.S. bank accounts, so my guess is her U.S. bank uses Zelle. The alternative is sending a check, which indeed is less safe than many online options or credit card payments, in this case I don't think there is any risk. The Op is well established and well known by happy customers.

and unless " ect, ect, ect." is some obscure money transfer service, I'm assuming you mean "etc."

Yikes. That's a bit troubling. Worst, was that it didn't even look funny, (wrong), when I typed it.

To all:

It's Zelle, not ZellePay

have you called or emailed them ? perhaps you could get a better answer directly from them. maybe another option ?

i have never stayed here but have a couple of diver friends that have. they really enjoyed it. pretty basic but affordable. as was said, the dive shop is right across the street. totally legit. but i am not up on all the different ways of paying these days. most of these methods i am hearing about for the first time. and i have never been asked to send a cheque to anyone. so i can understand why you would hesitate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom