Resizing Images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Should I be in Digital Darkroom? Thats how little I know...
Anyway, my question is this: If I have a lot of images to resize (for a website), is there a way to "process them" all one-time and uniformly? Or do I really have to go through them, painstakenly, one-by-one , in Photoshop?

I use a program called ACDSee. It can process multiple images, resize, rename, move, copy, optimize (with a plug-in). I really like it for basic photo work like this. For all else, I use Paint Shop Pro. I find it easier to use and way more inexpensive than Photoshop. It may not be quite as good, but it suits my needs nicely.
I now see PSP has been bought by Corell. Not sure if I like that or not.

I don't know about Photoshop, but Photoshop Element 3.0 has two different ways to resize multiple photos.

The easiest is the "Export" function in the Organizer. You have several options for file types, files sizes and jpg compression levels.

The other method is in the Editor. "Process Multiple Files", which is in the "Files" menu. You can choose to rename, resize to whatever size desired, execute various Quick Fix options, rename, and change file format and jpg compression level.

Catherine, I would infer that you have Photoshop, so the easiest way is to Batch them is with an Action.

So, here's an example in PS6 of batch resizing.

Actions are very cool tools...if you are always applying a particular contrast shift, or color balance for underwater, or whatever, you can record it once, then apply it in the future with a single click.

All the best, James

You all are the greatest! This would take me the rest of my life to figure out. It still might but this will speed things up considerably. Thanks for the great sources, I will show off my new website when its done, okay? Thanks. Catherine

Clarification question...

We are using Photoshop to modify Catherine's photos for her website. Specifically Photoshop 7 ...

As with any Photographers site, there are alot of images we are placing on the site, both thumbnails and enlarged views of each thumbnail.

The enlarged view of the photo only needs to have the width resized to 500 pixels (the heigth is dependent on the proportions of the photo) - I believe the above feedback from all of you will help to do that.

However, for the thumbnails, the changes to the photos are two fold:

• To get her photos into a uniform thumbnail size (84 pixels by 90 pixels)
  • Constrain the proportions of the original photo, to do this, we have found it necessary to crop the images prior to resizing to the above mentioned dimensions

Is there anyway to do the above in Photoshop? Note, it is not just a resize, it is a resize while constraining proportions (which may need croping of the photo to keep the original proportions)

Any feedback much appreciated!

Aloha

Pearl, in PS I'd record an action that first resized the image to one of your thumbnail sizes (say, resize height to 84 pixels), then, continue recording a crop.

Name the action ThumbnailCrop and you're done.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom