Resort in Cancun but want to dive. Pay for Cancun or shlep our stuff to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laura-MI

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are staying on the mainland but want to do 1 day of two tank dives. We have stayed on Cozumel twice before specifically for diving so we've been spoiled by amazing Cozumel dives. We are not into wreck diving so my question is...Is it worth it to even do a Cancun area dive? We will also have family members who will be a little grumpy if we're gone all day. Some Cancun outfitters look like they'll take you over to Cozumel. Should we go with one of them (recommendations?) or do it on our own an do the bag drag ourselves? Thanks for the help.

Last year we did a split dive/non-dive vacation trip to Cancun and had a great experience with Coconut Divers right on hotel row. They can take you right out to the reefs at Isla Mujeres in one of their smaller boats and, while it is not Cozumel, it is pretty good diving. We also did their 2-tank Cenote dive, which was amazing, they picked us up at the hotel at 7 am and took us to a great place guided by ex-German co-owner Leif, did 2 dives and got a great burrito and beer lunch and back to the hotel by about 2 pm. Lorena does their booking and she is really good with communication. They also took us for a day of drift diving in Coz which leaves direct from Playa (so no Ferry), so you can pretty much do anything from Cancun with them if you want to.

If you find yourself in Tulum, eat at Burrito Amor, awesome fish burritos, and avocado toast.

+1 On the cenotes, did not turn me to the dark and constricted side, but it is definitely a bucket list type thing.

Is it worth it to even do a Cancun area dive?

No. Unless it's for cenotes or bull sharks.

Should we go with one of them (recommendations?) or do it on our own an do the bag drag ourselves? Thanks for the help.

You could hop the ferry with snokeling gear and book w DWM, they include rental gear free. Personally, Id pack up my rollin mesh bag and take it all over.

Was in Cancun for a week a few years ago and worked in 3 days of Cancun diving. It was pleasant. Water was warm, Viz was good. Saw a bunch of fish. Was not a wall but was convenient and fun. I dove with Manta two days. Small boat. Guide. Just 2-3 divers. Would dive with them again. Last day Manta was booked and I did Aquaworld. Was not a fan of that operation. I am not an anti cattle boat guy. Dive a lot of boats like that and they can be well run. But would not dive Aquaworld again if I had the choice.

+1 on the uniqueness of Cenote diving and Burritos Amor in Tulum. Coconut Divers made arrangements for us to use their regular shuttle driver on a non-diving day to go see the Coba ruins, which was very interesting, and on the way back we had the driver take us to Burritos Amor (at the recommendation of one of our foodie friends). The food was incredible and reasonably priced. We treated our driver to lunch and asked him what he thought and his exact words were "this is not Mexican food, this is American food, Mexicans would not go to all this effort and add all this stuff to a burrito"... but he loved the food and so did we.

Has someone mentioned the cenotes yet?
I’m not sure but cenotes.

just in case you missed it,
Cenotes

Back
Top Bottom