Resort vs. renting for solo traveler?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Apart for price, what are the pros and con's of spending a week at Buddy or Don's versus renting everything separately / piecemeal? This is for a dive-focused trip with unlimited shore diving + a few boat dives. Also planning to do UW photo if this is relevant.

Aside from the convenience of buying a sleep, dive and drive package and getting everything in one place, I'm not sure the cost of "piecemealing" is that much more. A la carte prices are typically reasonable - including for boat dives.

No, the cost of piecemealing it is lower by a few $ hundreds.

Perhaps @drrich2 can offer some advice. He has mentioned diving solo on Bonaire and also said that he appreciates the convenience of "turnkey" dive trips, like livaboards, so he may be able to share some insights.

This may be my own paranoia, and I am not trying to open up a can of worms, but it is common knowledge that thievery is rather commonplace on Bonaire. It seems mostly to be petty theft targeted at rented vehicles, but I personally know a husband and wife couple that had their rental accommodations ransacked and they lost some jewelry and other items on Bonaire.

We prefer a staying at a resort with more people around and onsite security, and in a second floor room or apartment, to hopefully minimize the risk of robbery.

I know that theft against tourists can happen anywhere (I was once robbed in Cozumel!) but it does seem to be a recurring theme on Bonaire, so it doesn't hurt to take some extra precautions IMO.

Last edited:
I think that it common knowledge that thievery is rather commonplace on Bonaire.

I am not so sure about that. I wonder if it may just be some isolated noises getting a lot of attention. I have been to Bonaire several times, and never had any issues. Surely, there are incidents, but words like commonplace may be hyperbolic. All ears for a local...

I am not so sure about that. I wonder if it may just be some isolated noises getting a lot of attention. I have been to Bonaire several times, and never had any issues. Surely, there are incidents, but words like commonplace may be hyperbolic.

Maybe, but it's the only place we have been where we've been adamantly told (both verbally and in writing) by the car rental agencies "not to carry anything of value and to leave the car unlocked with the windows rolled down whenever it is parked and unoccupied."

I am not trying to start a debate, I am just trying to explain another possible reason for deciding to stay at a resort.

Last edited:
Maybe, but it's the only place we have been where we've been adamantly told in writing by the car rental agencies "not to carry anything of value and to leave the car unlocked with the windows rolled down whenever it is parked and unoccupied."

I think it's the same on Curacao. I'm not denying that it happens, or that the stated protocol is without merit, but on Bonaire it may be more a function of volume than incident; I do not know of any other island where so many people are driving and parking easily identifiable rental vehicles all over what is a small island. Lots of easy pickings for the opportunistic.

JDelage,

Do you mean you want to rent a VRBO or similar then? Are you travelling solo or just diving solo?

Yes, I was looking at AirBNB, which has some great pricing. Traveling solo for sure. Diving solo, we'll see.

The safety consideration is valid, good point.

Back
Top Bottom