Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During supervised diving activities (boat dives, guided shore dives and courses) guests must be in the possession of an alternate air source. This cannot be the alternate air source and inflator hose combo or “air2’’.
Technical diving is to use neckless as primary source of breathing and leave long hose clipped to D-Ring as an option to give gas this way it will remain clean.

What do you think of this " New Normal " Rule?

Would you not go diving at this resort because of this new rule? ( I have decided to not mention the specific dive resort. )

Please stay on topic. This tread is not about which gear configuration you like or don't like.

All I can say is: Read my signature.

Please disclose this location, although I am sure they are not on my bucket list.

Then per the language I found, that qualifies as a Hogarthian loop. I like 5-foot hoses for being in a wetsuit as I don't have to trap the long hose. But dry suit, not enough. If I could find a 6 foot hose....

Then per the language I found, that qualifies as a Hogarthian loop. I like 5-foot hoses for being in a wetsuit as I don't have to trap the long hose. But dry suit, not enough. If I could find a 6 foot hose....

At 5’5”, the 5ft hose is just right for me. 7ft was too much.

exactly, primary donate is not common anywhere, except SB.

Add me to the list of primary donate. My rescue diver instructor liked primary donate because you know EXACTLY where your primary is located.

All my reg sets are long hose. Does this mean that I have to buy new regs to be a resort diver.

One of the potentially significant problems with an Air 2 is that the diver may fail to understand that they are in a primary donate situation and they fail to emphasize that to the buddy. Incompetence and inappropriate or deficient communication about the presence or use of the Air 2 between buddies is what can make them "dangerous".

I am one that makes sure to emphasize I will primary donate to my dive buddy(ies) before each dive.

I’ve been in this situation. My SPG came off 45 minutes into a dive. My buddy ignored my OOG signal, but signalled he wanted 2 more minutes before surfacing. I reached over and took his AIR2. Now I had his buoyancy controls and we were going up. We did a deco stop before hitting the surface where the boat was waiting. They knew there was an issue because the sea had erupted from my leaking hose. Before my next dive I had replaced my AIR2.

I'm confused by this post.

First, if your SPG erupted, why did you replace your AIR2?

Second, why didn't you replace your ignorant dive buddy before anything else?

Judging from the past 10 pages or so, the new policy doesn't sound like a problem to most of you. Too many other issues besides the policy.

Back
Top Bottom