Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) comply with them and dive happily in that resort.
I agree. Happily comply. I always do. But once you splash things change and you have to be flexible.

The reality is that people dive with them, regardless of how anyone feels about them.

The immediate effect of this policy is that divers that are used to other configurations will be put into configurations they aren't used to. We can talk until we're blue in the face about changing training, eventually getting people used to other configurations, etc, but the reality is that NOW, TODAY, if you're diving at this resort with other divers, these rules will put some of them into configurations that they aren't used to.
From what I've seen when diving in warmer climes, I see students demonstrate once how to donate or receive gas in an OOG situation then get signed-off, never to practice the skill again. Performing a skill once doesn’t instil muscle memory.

I have my regulators set up with a 40” yellow hose to a second stage and a 24” black hose to an identical second stage with a bungee necklace. Of course the desired plan is to use the yellow hose as my primary with the secondary on the necklace, but I have no issue swapping the two. I just need another regulator holder, which is in my dive box anyway.

The reality is that people dive with them, regardless of how anyone feels about them.

The immediate effect of this policy is that divers that are used to other configurations will be put into configurations they aren't used to. We can talk until we're blue in the face about changing training, eventually getting people used to other configurations, etc, but the reality is that NOW, TODAY, if you're diving at this resort with other divers, these rules will put some of them into configurations that they aren't used to.
So perviously, idiot diver one had a primary and an air2. Now he has a primary, secondary and an air2. If me (idiot diver two) goes out of air I take the secondary.

The only new training idiot diver one needs is to not drag the secondary along the coral.

How hard was that?

I looked at the links to some shop earlier, an Air2 is twice the price of an octopus. You need a stupid, non standard hose, inflators don’t get rinsed as well as regulators. They are not a great idea. They do serve a useful signaling purpose though.

In Capo Caccia there are several caverns and a very long cave, Grotta di Nereo, which goes inside the mountain for over 1 km.
Rec divers are entering just for 20-30 meters, for admiring the red coral under the ceiling. The recommended trim is face up, so you see the coral under the ceiling.
The typical trim of US cave divers, with hands partially stretched forward, flexed knees at 90 degrees and fins well above you is totally forbidden there...

Are you horizontal on your back? Or vertical and looking up?

Fins are not allowed, and kicking is forbidden, for preserving delicate stalactites and stalagmites. You advance pulling yourself with your hands on guidance cables, which are the only thing you are allowed to touch.

So just like a section of Cow Springs?

I was referring to their training with normal configuration, as I see with many PADI/SSI students. Unlike GUI where OOG drills are practiced on a regular basis.
I figured that's what you meant, but the point stands. In an emergency, people resort to what they're used to. That may be what they were originally trained in, or it may not, depending on what they normally use.

I'd expect someone that dives a primary donate, long hose to respond by trying to donate their primary, even if wearing a standard octo. Most are going to hopefully be aware enough to remember what to switch, but the whole point of training with a consistent gear set is for that muscle memory.

Someone had to go first...makes sense it is the biggest dog.
I have to agree with Angelo. Understand an operator's policies and then choose to dive with them or not.
I have a suspicion that unless it becomes more widespread, and perhaps even then, it may well be one of those rules that is on paper more than in real life. Sort of a don’t ask, don’t tell situation. Much like solo diving use to be on some boats. As long as it is down on paper and initialed, the lawyers are satisfied.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom