Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have a known working regulator, with known working gas, and if the reg gets grabbed out of your mouth, then no problem. If you have someone with a communicable disease you deal with it on a case by case basis.

This is me. 1) I test both of my regulators each dive. (In all honesty, I can't claim that this is a direct safety step I take, but rather a desire to make sure that they are both still tuned and running well since I am the reg tech and I want to track this info. It is indirectly safety but it'd be misleading to claim that is my primary thinking when I do it.) Usually after leaving the surface. and then again if we go past another atmosphere of pressure give or take a couple of feet. If I have a flaky backup, the dive should have been called well before we got to any OOA situation. 2) What are the statistics on me having an OOA buddy and a faulty backup second versus a possible communicative disease issue? Both are pretty dang low. But I have the luxury of a new-ish diving family that even after 60+ dives (our least dove member) we all check our SPGs more often than is probably needed. so 3) I would either have a buddy with a catastrophic low pressure leak or a random stranger that found me underwater combined with a backup second that went bad mid-dive. That is either two independent hardware failures on the same dive or a random stranger that finds me in their OOA time while I have a communicable disease. I'm keeping my primary donate setup. My wife knows to go for it.

I can't say for certainty that I would avoid this resort, but it might have to have some compelling reasons for me to not look elsewhere.

A bit long winded this AM. apologies.

This would be an issue for me, sufficient to keep me from patronizing the resort. I have no desire to debate my dive practices with someone I am paying for a boat ride. I do respect their right to set their operational rules, but I would not be willing to change to suit them.Simple solution is to not go there.

YMMV

I think @tbone1004 and others have already gotten at this, but changing the primary donate practice introduces the potential for mistakes and problems. For those who are accustomed to this practice, changing the protocol works against the ingrained muscle memory. In addition, I can see where trying to unclip a long hose with a panicked diver in your face could end badly.

Their boat their rules but I think it is a bit of over thinking the risk and the situation. If they want to have a real impact on risk and not just the appearence, it’s much more important to require masks on board and maintain social distancing as much as possible in such confined spaces, make sure captain, crew and customers are symptom free. And of course give rental gear and facilities a good cleaning between uses.

Choice of equipment and configuration should be a choice of the buddy pairs. And of course if a diver is diving (true) solo its a nonissue.

hmmmm..

When I dive that configuration (secondary donate), I'm on my double hose. Guess I won't get any push back as I am in compliance with their rules....

During supervised diving activities (boat dives, guided shore dives and courses) guests must be in the possession of an alternate air source. This cannot be the alternate air source and inflator hose combo or “air2’’.
Technical diving is to use neckless as primary source of breathing and leave long hose clipped to D-Ring as an option to give gas this way it will remain clean.

What do you think of this " New Normal " Rule?

Would you not go diving at this resort because of this new rule? ( I have decided to not mention the specific dive resort. )

Please stay on topic. This tread is not about which gear configuration you like or don't like.

Absolutely not. No one, and I mean no one, other than an instructor on a course I’m taking, tells me how to configure my gear. I dive a long hose on my single tank set up, besides my doubles.

Plus, I’m not a germaphobe under normal circumstances and any charter op that is this worried about an emergency air share shouldn’t even be running, IMO.

Then, there’s the added risk of in an emergency having to do what you’re not trained for and don’t have the muscle memory for.

I’d tell the charter op to go pound sand and take my money elsewhere.

I'd have no concerns complying. I often dive this way anyway to put some hours on my backup 2nd stage. Both of my 2nd stages are "primary" quality regs anyway. I dive a Legend LX 1st stage and both of my 2nd stages are Legend LXs as well with primary on a 7' hose and backup on a necklace. But since I typically solo dive with an AL40 pony (which also has a primary quality reg) I don't have to worry about sharing air with anyone regardless.

Additional edit to this thread:

Would you not go diving at this resort because of this new rule? ( I have decided to not mention the specific dive resort. )

Please stay on topic. This tread is not about which gear configuration you like or don't like.
I would generally opt to not dive with such a resort, I just don’t like someone telling me how to dive but I also avoid resorts. It scares me sometimes to think about it but I’ve been diving since 1971 and I am set in my ways although my ways change to adapt to better ways to dive all of the time.

I think it's just fine. Such a rule helps me identify resorts that I don't want to do business with. Since they don't want my business, everyone's happy. That said, I think it's foolish for someone to be going to a resort before there's a vaccine in the first place. Therefore it won't affect me.

If the resort is open, eventually someone with the plague will show up. Emergency air sharing techniques should be the least of their concerns with regards to spreading it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom