Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is a great idea. Can you list some of the problems this idea will cause, and back it up with some evidence?

If this is the new norm, some or most of us need to be retrained. New divers will quickly get into the new practice. More important it will be quicker and safer to new divers into the sport of diving.

Making the second stage no longer quickly accessible is the biggest, ever tried to undo clips with thick or dry gloves.

I have witnessed panicked OOA divers grab the thing with bubbles coming out. That is part of the reason I switched to long hose.

If this is the new norm, some or most of us need to be retrained. New divers will quickly get into the new practice. More important it will be quicker and safer to new divers into the sport of diving.
These are irrelevant. This is talking about what they're doing, now, with the divers that are going.

Since we're talking about a resort, we're talking divers that generally aren't hugely experienced and are used to the configurations they currently dive.

Let's look at the two possible scenarios here that result in death and choose the one that's the lowest risk:

• An asymptomatic, infectious carrier of covid is diving, transfers the virus onto a regulator, it survives in high enough viral load while being passed in salt water to the OOA victim, who because they're diving is very likely not a high risk individual for covid death. Survival rate of that is what, 99.9%+?
  • An inexperienced diver must respond to an OOA situation in a gear configuration they're not used to using. They have an octopus, which hasn't been tested, because heaven forbid they breath off of it to check it out. Are you confident that more than 99.9% of inexperienced divers can properly respond in a gear configuration they're not used to?

• An inexperienced diver must respond to an OOA situation in a gear configuration they're not used to using. They have an octopus, which hasn't been tested, because heaven forbid they breath off of it to check it out. Are you confident that more than 99.9% of inexperienced divers can properly respond in a gear configuration they're not used to?

what do you mean a diver using a gear configuration they are not used to? 99% of all divers use the gear configuration being asked of them in this message, primary in mouth and octo on 40in hose for octo donate. Those of that use primary donate are using the non industry standard configuration. The exception to that being air2 users, I have no idea what percentage of divers use those.

This is a long document, in Italian, containing the SIMSI protocol agreed among professional operators and scuba industries here in Italy for ensuring reasonably safe operations during the COVID-19 pandemic:
https://simsi.it/wp-content/uploads...9-REV-2-DEL-13-5-20-ALLEGATI_compressed-1.pdf
It explicitly forbids to donate a regulator which has been already used by the donor, and that the donor uses it again after donating. No one complained here, as donating the primary, here in Italy, is not widespread.

This is a long document, in Italian, containing the SIMSI protocol agreed among professional operators and scuba industries here in Italy for ensuring reasonably safe operations during the COVID-19 pandemic:
https://simsi.it/wp-content/uploads...9-REV-2-DEL-13-5-20-ALLEGATI_compressed-1.pdf
It explicitly forbids to donate a regulator which has been already used by the donor, and that the donors uses it again after donating. No one complained here, as donating the primary, here in Italy, is not widespread.

exactly, primary donate is not common anywhere, except SB.

use rental regs that have been hanging next to every other rental reg since the last group was here.

The only plus to this is that I suspect shops/resorts will better sterilize there rental equipment (something I think they should have been doing anyway)

99.7-99.9% of confirmed cases survive.
Right... now adjust the numbers for the salt water rinse and the fact that the OOA diver is much less likely to be in a high risk group by the very fact that they're out diving and not 90 and in a nursing home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom