Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We may be splitting semantic hairs. Yes use of an air2 is a form of primary donate, but outside of SB I have not heard one person using an air2 refer to their setup as a primary donate, they typically say they are using an air2 or a bcd inflator octo. Most folks that talk primary donate as a system are tech divers, a much more limited group.

It seems like your understanding is limited on this topic. If a person is using an Air 2, (and they have a normal configuration) then they MUST do primary donate.

The fact that people don't specifically call it that is irrelevant. The (almost) last thing you want is a buddy trying to breath off your Air 2.

One of the potentially significant problems with an Air 2 is that the diver may fail to understand that they are in a primary donate situation and they fail to emphasize that to the buddy. Incompetence and inappropriate or deficient communication about the presence or use of the Air 2 between buddies is what can make them "dangerous".

I. more often than not, use an Air 2 and when diving with new people, I always try to make a point of telling them that if they need air- they MUST take the regulator from my mouth. I tell them that is the ONLY source of air for them I have and I also tell them that they can be sure I will notice right away if they take the regulator from my mouth. It is somewhat disconcerting about how many buddies are ignorant of this very significant limitation imposed by an Air 2.

Personally, I think banning AIr 2's from recreational diving makes little sense.

Here's a more important question... does anyone actually think that in the history of covid, there will be a single case of someone getting sick, much less dying, for covid transmission in an emergency ooa scenario?

I think this is because SB tends to have a large number of tech/cave divers or those trained by them.
Tech/cave divers using a SPECIFIC set of procedures, developed in US for a very special type of cave-wreck dives.
I can ensure you that here in Italy we have thousand of tech/cave divers NOT USING these procedures...

Here's a more important question... does anyone actually think that in the history of covid, there will be a single case of someone getting sick, much less dying, for covid transmission in an emergency ooa scenario?

Maybe one that it gets blamed for, actually happening not likely.

It seems like your understanding is limited on this topic.

I don’t believe my understanding is limited at all, and using attacks like that will not help you make a point other than clearly communicating you lack tact. I was trained in octo donate in almost every class I have taken since 1993, I am familiar with AIR2 systems and I use a primary donate in a substantial portion of my diving (with the exception of vacation/resort dives). What I am saying is that most recreational divers that use AIR2 would not refer to is as a primary donate system, even though it is by definition that.

It seems like your understanding is limited on this topic. If a person is using an Air 2, (and they have a normal configuration) then they MUST do primary donate.

The fact that people don't specifically call it that is irrelevant. The (almost) last thing you want is a buddy trying to breath off your Air 2.

One of the potentially significant problems with an Air 2 is that the diver may fail to understand that they are in a primary donate situation and they fail to emphasize that to the buddy. Incompetence and inappropriate or deficient communication about the presence or use of the Air 2 between buddies is what can make them "dangerous".
I’ve been in this situation. My SPG came off 45 minutes into a dive. My buddy ignored my OOG signal, but signalled he wanted 2 more minutes before surfacing. I reached over and took his AIR2. Now I had his buoyancy controls and we were going up. We did a deco stop before hitting the surface where the boat was waiting. They knew there was an issue because the sea had erupted from my leaking hose. Before my next dive I had replaced my AIR2.

As said, I had never allowed any diver under my responsibility to dive with just a primary and an Air2.
This is a totally unsafe config.
An Air2 can be a good additional safety instead of a normal BCD command, but still requires that the tank is equipped with an independent secondary reg.
My suggestion is that you should keep diving in your own little world and not travel anywhere.

99.7-99.9% of confirmed cases survive.
I would happy if this was the reality. Here in Italy the case fatality rate (number of COVID-19 related deaths divided the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases) is 14%.
See here the chart, comparing with US;
Screen-Shot-2020-05-21-at-20-43-46.png

However it must be said that for each confirmed case it is estimated that there are 9 unconfirmed cases, of people mostly asymptomatic or with mild symptoms, who had not been tested and hence are not included in the number of confirmed cases. A fraction of these also died, as proven by the fact that the number of excess deaths during the past two months is almost twice the number of officially reported deaths.
This allows to estimate that the real case fatality rate is around 2.4%, hence the survival rate is 97.6 %. Which is much worst than the number you reported (of undeclared origin)...
This for Italy.
In other countries, luckily, the situation looks better, mostly because the population is not so old as here, so worldwide the actual estimate of the case fatality rate is between 1% and 2%, with strong regional variations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom