Resources on how to use a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think suggesting the course is practically obligatory. But I agree that a conscientious diver is quite capable of learning drysuit diving without a class. All the training resources are available if you search for them, manuals may require buying. I recently got a Seaskin drysuit and I am also self-teaching. I feel that those that self-teach have a responsibility to meet and exceed course standards regardless of whether or not they are actually in a course. I found reports of drysuit classes on this board especially helpful for how to do the recovery from a stuck inflator while going up feet-first. Again, just search for them and read.

When I ordered my drysuit, none of my buddies dived dry, and I'd only ever touched the suits hanging on the racks at the local dive shop. My drysuit showed up April of 2020, so pretty much right when lockdown started here, and all the shops had just cancelled all classes indefinitely -- taking a class at that time was pretty hopeless. I did some reading here, watched a few videos, verified that the pump and dump valves worked, slapped that baby on, and just did some shallow shore dives. I did the upside-down recovery move a few times, and then just worked on buoyancy control.

Early on I used way too much lead, put way too much air in the suit, did a crappy job of managing the air bubble, and didn't understand why leaving the dump valve open the entire time is a good idea. I also learned the "fun" way how to prevent pee valve leaks, neck seal leaks, and dryglove leaks (spoiler: I experienced at least 1 of each of those flavors of leakage). But none of the issues I experienced are safety hazards. It took about 10 dives to feel confident, and another 10 or 20 on top to dial things in. Some discussions here on SB were also really helpful.

There's a few safety issues with a dry suit, but they aren't hard to understand and they aren't hard to deal with underwater, at least *to me*. Now that we're a year into covid, and understand how it spreads, etc, I would imagine that finding a drysuit class is more doable. Would I have learned faster with an instructor? Definitely. Would it be worth the $100 or $200 or whatever it is? Almost certainly. But honestly, I was fine figuring it out myself, and I am glad that I didn't wait around for months until a class opened up, because diving dry is easy. If you're into learning things by yourself, I'd say you'll be fine. Or if you're into taking a class and one is available, that's a great idea too. Either way, a couple dozen dives from now, you will be happy as a clam in your new suit.

1 proper inspection and donning
2. Weighting and buoyancy
3 descent and ascent techniques
4 learn the tuck and roll for gas trapped in feet
5 drills for stuck inflators and exhausts.

I am collecting some resources on this specific topics

4) Tuck and Roll maneuver

LOL and additional video on how to pee in a drysuit

Very clear

On how to use the valves, including the "chicken wing" movement

Back
Top Bottom