Respiratory Shock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Yooper

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Greetings,

I'm wondering if anyone has any information pertaining to respiratory shock involving divers breathing super cold air at cold depths under stress. The recent death up here on the Superior City wreck (200') was ruled as possible respiratory shock causing embolism. The embolism was not post mortem, the embolism occured near the bottom, and the diver had 1000psi of air in his tank (single 120). He was inexperience at that depth, was left by his "buddy", and it appeared as though his light got tangled in some debris on the wreck. The details of the dive were relayed to me by the recovery team leader who also spoke to the coroner.

There seems to be a great deal of critism of the theory, and I'm kind of on the fence about the whole thing. Among the critisms is the fact that there has been plenty of 200'+ dives made up here (and other cold water regions), and people aren't dying too often. The other is that people aren't dying from respiratory shock every winter shoveling snow in -35F air temps.

To me, it sounds like an intrigueing theory that could explain some mysterious deaths. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be much "practical" evidence to support it. As far as the dive in question, it appears as though the death was certainly avoidable had even a little common sense been used.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Dear Mike and Readers:

I am not personally aware of this problem. This type of cold is not a situation at NASA, and I have no information to offer.

Sorry - - - -

Dr Deco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom