Response to depth questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless the person has a pen and notepad poised for scribbling, questions about what kind of diving your doing are generally conversation openers, the guy/gal just wants to get to know you and enjoy vicarious dives.
if you shut this topic of conversation down too quickly, will you like the next thread of conversation better?
Edit to add; I am one of the people who asks this question, not because I have any interest in going scary-deep, but just to share experiences. I do feel Socially Squashed when I get a non-answer, which I have read to mean that the other person just does not want to talk to me at all, so I will go talk to someone else. Never dawned on me that someone would think I was seeking instruction and leadership from a total stranger I just met on a boat.

Last edited:
As an open water diver I actually get irritated at coy answers. If I ask something straightforward like what wreck someone has been on and how deep was it, I would like a straightforward answer. I find trying to change the topic insulting. Often the answer to my inquiry leads to another question such as gas mixes, how you discovered that particular site, etc. Just because a lesser experienced diver asks about challenging dives doesn't mean (s)he is going to attempt it.

This.

If someone asks me, I just tell them the number. The only time I would add any caveats or disclaimers is if it was someone on the same dive boat or something like that, and it was a recreational dive trip where I was gearing up in a single tank. Then I might add "but that was in doubles, a drysuit, and carrying a deco cylinder as well." I wouldn't want to give the incorrect impression that I dived that deep in the rig they saw me using right then. Otherwise, I agree with @tilikum. I just seems condescending or possibly even insulting. Caveats or disclaimers imply that you may be inferring something about the person based on the question or their appearance or whatever. You shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

I will add my voice to those who say they give a straight answer. I do it in a friendly way that invites further conversation, so it does not end on that simple note. The person is curious, and that curiosity about more advanced diving is good. More importantly, they see that diving to those depths requires more than just an AL 80 and a lot of foolish nerve.

It actually doesn't happen all that much, now that I think about it. When I am geared up like that, I am usually in the presence of other people geared up like that, and those people don't give a mouse's behind how deep I have gone.

That depends on the who is asking. Non-divers usually hear something like mid-900', 10 days decompression, US Navy. Divers need to clarify... Freediving, Scuba, surface-supplied, saturation, or in a submersible? Recreation, training, commercial, or military?

The discussions around clarifications are enough to prevent newbie divers from thinking they can emulate without training, experience, and support. Several of these conversations culminated with the questioner starting school and becoming commercial divers.

Thanks. Gone are my placating answers.

Next person who asks (provided they don't look like they are planning to follow me down) will get the direct answer and whatever natural discussion follows.

Just returned from a 8ft deep dive (freshwater photography and the thermocline at 12 ft is 41°) and upon surfacing a bystander once again asked how deep I could go.... to which I replied 'today? 8ft. Isn't the water lovely.' ...followed by classic lake chatter and a story his mother's cousin's uncle who use to dive.

Learned something today,
Cameron

Last edited:
How I am I supposed to be a super cool mysterious clad in black tek diver if I tell people what I actually do?

"He's a hi tech diver! Underwater man of mystery! A genuine survivor! With all the latest dive technology!!"
I remember the exchange you had with TSandM's question on the deco time for your Eagle's Nest video.
You said something like "not very long, only 7 hours."
With her reply something along the line of "I think we have different ideas about what is 'not very long'."

The most common question I get from recreational depth divers or the general curious bystander when I'm seen in non standard equipment is 'what's the deepest you've dove?' I don't like promoting depth as a dive goal or something to be held as a remarkable achievement so I'm always hesitant to reply.

I'm wondering how you respond? My replies are along the lines of 'as deep as I need' or 'right to the bottom' or 'I just go as deep as what I'm wanting to see'. A light reply and then turn the conversation to their interest in diving or their experiences.

I appreciate the fascination with the deep, but I shy away from putting actual depth in my answer. Anyone else have this hesitation? I got turned off depth challenges by unofficial single tank depth record attempts that ended with dead divers.

Cameron

Why not just tell the curious bystander that the gear is to help you dive longer, not necessarily deeper? Time is something anyone can relate to, even with zero knowledge of diving.

As I was reading this thread, I was thinking about the people that usually ask me about how deep I've been. As I recall, I would say that most all of them were non-divers. And I find that the reason they ask is because of the utter fascination when they think about going anything beyond about 12 feet deep in a swimming pool. They usually have a genuine curiosity about it and I use the opportunity to extoll my love for diving and what a wonderful experience it is. Some say there is no way they could ever do it while others seem interested in looking into it.

Of course, I will tell them about the inherent dangers in diving and why it is imperative that certification training be done. I don't want anyone thinking it is as simple as strapping on a tank and jumping in. But I think to give an evasive or indirect answer is doing a disservice to someone that may truly be interested in taking,up scuba diving.

I find most folks honestly want to know, especially the non-divers. There's a real curiosity at the dive sites we frequent about 'what's down there', and a simply honest answer usually satisfies them. What I won't discuss EVER is how big the fish are, or whether I saw an octopus or not. I'm there to photograph them and I want them around for next time. It's the only thing I won't honestly answer.

Usually the questions are "what did you see" (we dive a set of sunken dry docks a short scooter ride away from a popular boat launch) followed by "how deep are they?", which always gets the honest answers (60ft to the bottom, 30 ft on top). The next question is almost always "see many crab?". (yes but we see way more crab pots, usually lost on the bottom full of anenomes!).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom