Retirement plan to support my "habit"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airline employees can fly for free or cheap on standby which can be a great perk, especially if you live in one of their hubs. For example, retire in Houston, work for United and getting to the Caribbean (or Hawaii and from there Guam, Palau, etc...) is easy. You can even fly standby on other airlines but at a lower priority level.

I have a friend who works for United and he and his girlfriend flew over to Kona from San Diego for only one night just to go on the manta night dive with us. Pretty cool lifestyle. I can't imagine doing a one-night flight--gotta stretch the airfare dollars.

I'm already semi-retired. I just knock off a bank every month or two. Unfortunately there is only one bank on the island and I think they're beginning to recognize me.

I can not agree more!

Loreto has a healthy commnity of expats. Me myself I decided to move there almost the minute I set foot in the place. The area is utterly gorgeous and diving is superb (you also get whales during the season). It's not as cheap as other places in Mexico, but i do prefer it to busier places like Riviera Maya....also marine life is crazy here.
Hope you find your place! If you want more info about Baja, give me a shout!

Thanks. I did, in fact, check out Loreto while down there and fell in love with the place. I have plans to go back once I retire, and find a rental for a minimum of six months. If I still love it there, I'll stick around. If not, I'll continue my "walkabout" ... I have nothing but time at that point, and adequate resources to go or stay, as I feel like doing.

I did have a great time there ... these are my two favorite pics from my time in Loreto ...

Baja 39.jpg

Baja 50.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks. I did, in fact, check out Loreto while down there and fell in love with the place. I have plans to go back once I retire, and find a rental for a minimum of six months. If I still love it there, I'll stick around. If not, I'll continue my "walkabout" ... I have nothing but time at that point, and adequate resources to go or stay, as I feel like doing.

I did have a great time there ... these are my two favorite pics from my time in Loreto ...

View attachment 464512

View attachment 464513

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great shots! Hope to see you here eventually. I'm sure Loreto will keep you around :wink:

I'll have to look you up when I get there. I went diving with Dolphin Divers this last time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have a Metrolink station just a few blocks away but it looks like I'd have to take a train, then walk a mile, then take a bus, then another train, then walk some more then take another bus, then take a taxi... and that's just to get to the CBX. It comes to about 7 1/2 hours. I could probably drive there faster. Alaska seems to have the only flights to Loreto from LAX and the fares are high but mi novia found a deal for half price. Now, if I can just find cheap airport parking :wink:

@Azur Salino, I'm assuming it's all desert around there so is the best time to come there during the cooler months? Any particular time better than others?

View attachment 464512

View attachment 464513

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Here is one of my favorite shots from Loreto. This was taken on a beach about 20 minutes north of town. We were staying at an Eco Resort that I believe is no longer in existence. It was owned by an American couple that previously did scuba charters throughout the Sea of Cortez. Isla Danzante is gorgeous.
175044_1580571115865_1289702_o.jpg

@JamesBon92007 I guess you already have checked this site Getting to CBX | Cross Border Xpress . But I seems logistics would get to complicated to get to the CBX in your case :(

You can also fly to Los Cabos, and then either catch another short flight to Loreto, or just catch a bus or drive north. it's an incredible road trip that can anyway get done in one day. Many people do that, there are many stops in between totally worthwhile.

Baja Califrnia is definitely arid, and desert-like in many places, but there are many oasis scattered along the way, and the almost ever present mountan range is actually full of water. The canyons are pretty green all year round and many coastal towns too.

Cooler months are winter and spring months. Ambient temp is super nice then, but the water can drop to the low 60s, which is not that bad honestly. Visibility during those months can be reduced too, but in the other hand is whale and whaleshark season. From Loreto you can see the blue whales (which is on of the only places in the world where they gather), fin whales, pilot whales etc... and 2 hours drive from town, on the pacific side you can see the gray whales, which are incredibly friendly. A few hours south, you can get to La Paz and see dozens of whalesharks 5 minutes from the docks. So pretty awesome area if you ask me.

Water temp, and visibility gets suuuper nice and warm during the summer and fall months. It gets pretty hot, but the sea conditions are excelent and at its best for diving. We also receive the visit of the mobula ray schools (THOUSANDS), and it's the reproduction season for many fish, so you can expect a lot of life.

So as you can see, every season has its perks, but divewise, i like summer and fall better.

Back
Top Bottom