Retirement plan to support my "habit"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@JamesBon92007 I guess you already have checked this site Getting to CBX | Cross Border Xpress . But I seems logistics would get to complicated to get to the CBX in your case :(
Y.

I always feel like airport parking is the number one reason that I cut trips short, so if there's a way to avoid it...

OK, thanks for the great info! I'd been wanting to dive the Sea of Cortez and Los Cabos doesn't appeal to me all that much, La Paz seemed better but I wasn't thrilled with what I'd read, but Loreto sounds perfect! I think I called a hotel there back in the 80s, trying to find out if there were any scuba diving facilities around there, but with my extremely limited Spanish I was unable to find anyone who could tell me if I could even get tanks filled somewhere.

I don't mind the heat and the desert, but my girlfriend is another story.

If you want to dive the Cortez, please avoid Los Cabos. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple of good dives, and Cabo Pulmo is not too far, but diving is fairly limited and the area is overcrowed...
La Paz is a great dive destination, plenty of things to see, a couple of wrecks and Espiritu Santo island is gorgeous, but boat rides are very long. The surrounding area is not as pretty as other places.
I like Loreto best because there are 3 main islands really close by with plenty of variety, and the scenery and town itself are simply gorgeous. One of the most incredible landscapes there is.
Loreto changed quite a bit since the 80s :wink: Don't worry @JamesBon92007 , when the time comes we will assist you in anything you need.

@Trailboss123 What a nice shot. The Loreto Bay Marine Park is one of the most gorgeous places i've seen in Baja...
Indeed … we did a surface interval at honeymoon bay … only place I've ever gone hiking in a 7 mm wetsuit … it was hot …

Baja 42.jpg

… Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you want to dive the Cortez, please avoid Los Cabos. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple of good dives, and Cabo Pulmo is not too far, but diving is fairly limited and the area is overcrowed...
La Paz is a great dive destination, plenty of things to see, a couple of wrecks and Espiritu Santo island is gorgeous, but boat rides are very long. The surrounding area is not as pretty as other places.
I like Loreto best because there are 3 main islands really close by with plenty of variety, and the scenery and town itself are simply gorgeous. One of the most incredible landscapes there is.
Loreto changed quite a bit since the 80s :wink: Don't worry @JamesBon92007 , when the time comes we will assist you in anything you need.

I found my old copies of "The Baja Book" and my notes from the 80s and the hotel I called was Hotel Presidente. Not sure if it was Loreto or Nopolo. Like I said, they didn't know of any scuba facilities nor did I find anyone who spoke Ingles but supposedly there was a dive shop there at the time, at least according to the book. Of course now I speak a bit more Spanish so now I can ask a lot more questions. That phone call was one of the reasons I bought a small, portable scuba compressor that will run on 15 amps 110 volts.

Meanwhile I just took a little walk around Loreto on Google Earth and I sure like what I see. I'll bet they don't get any cruise ships there, right?

Just buy some Siacoin and you will have plenty of money to dive with later.

I found my old copies of "The Baja Book" and my notes from the 80s and the hotel I called was Hotel Presidente. Not sure if it was Loreto or Nopolo. Like I said, they didn't know of any scuba facilities nor did I find anyone who spoke Ingles but supposedly there was a dive shop there at the time, at least according to the book. Of course now I speak a bit more Spanish so now I can ask a lot more questions. That phone call was one of the reasons I bought a small, portable scuba compressor that will run on 15 amps 110 volts.

Meanwhile I just took a little walk around Loreto on Google Earth and I sure like what I see. I'll bet they don't get any cruise ships there, right?

There only a few cruiships coming to Loreto every year (like 7 or 8) and they anchor in the bay. Definitly not a cruiship destination, and hopefully stays like this.
Hotel President doesn't exit any more as far as i know. There are several really good hotels, villas and a couple of all inclusive resorts (these ways far from town). As for dive shops, there are a couple in Loreto. Back then there was only one ran by and american couple. We run Blue Nation Baja (www.bluenationbaja.com), check it out, there is plenty of information there about our National Park, divesites etc.
Nowadays most of the tour operators and hotels will have some english speaking staff, and you will totally get by speaking it in town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom