Retractor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and daughter both use something like this to secure their Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with compass to their right chest D-ring, as per @tbone1004 . They find it easy to pull away a bit for a better view of all of the information. The retractors seem very sturdy, last many years. They leave the retractor on their BC and the connector on the console
View attachment 596823

I use a similar one for my console except it has a frog on it. :wink: The lock is handy.

I had used one for a compass on the chest d-ring, it was a lot easier to hold correctly For navigation than when wearing it on the wrist. This was because when you pull it, you can then hold the compass in the middle of both hands, so it easier to hold it ‘straight’.

I never used one to hold a console though.

The issue you mention is why I put my compass in a bungee mount on the back of my left hand. My natural dive position is displayed in my avatar...by bringing my hands closer together I can see the compass and the luber line is naturally lined up with my direction of travel/center line of my body. My computer is on my right forearm and since it is AI I have all the info I need right in front of me throughout the dive, kind of like a dashboard.

-Z

The issue you mention is why I put my compass in a bungee mount on the back of my left hand. My natural dive position is displayed in my avatar...by bringing my hands closer together I can see the compass and the luber line is naturally lined up with my direction of travel/center line of my body. My computer is on my right forearm and since it is AI I have all the info I need right in front of me throughout the dive, kind of like a dashboard.

-Z

I do the same with the compass -- bungeed to the back of my left hand. That little extra bit of wrist articulation makes the natural hand position also the best position to use a compass, it's really nice. My hoseless AI computer is bungeed to the back of my right hand. That leaves no space for a Goodman handle so I don't use one anymore, I just boltsnap lights to my chest D-rings. Overall it is very streamlined and easy to use. If I ever splurge for a big can light, then I might need to reconfigure things to make space for a Goodman handle.

Still have an analog SPG boltsnapped to the left hip D-ring, but thinking about removing it from my reg and tossing it into my save-a-dive kit. Since I don't do overhead dives, deco stop dives, or dive under boat traffic, I cannot imagine a situation where the computer would fail and I would subsequently care what the analog SPG says anymore, because at that point I'll be bailing out to the surface.

They are cross clipped to the right shoulder D-ring to keep everything tidy and easy to see. You can look down and see most of the information quickly enough, but unclipping it is quick and easy.

This if you are using a counsel and have a long enough hose. The right shoulder d-ring is where my wife used to put her SPG. You would only need to unclip it for compass use (if your counsel has one on it). You will see it at all times meaning it won't be dragging behind you like I have seen too often in my short time of diving.

Like many others, both my wife and I now clip off our SPG on our left waist D-ring with dive computer on right arm. Having used a counsel in my open water training I found a wrist computer so much more convenient.

Yes, I like one with a lock. And I prefer a console. I never forget it and always have all of it. I hang a spare computer on a wrist strap from the console hose.

i forgot to say i use 2 re tractors on my o2 and dil gauges on my ccr

I use a retractor for my compass I find it easier and more accurate for me to hold it in the palm of my hand. The compasses I buy have a small retracor mounted to the back so it is pretty compact and doesn't dangle. I only have an SPG clipped to my hip so no console for me.

Do most of you guys use a retractor to hold your gauge console?
1f64b-2642.png

The one I use has several years now. Originally the cord was a stainless steel 1 mm cable, but with time and use it broke, so, several years ago I replaced the SS cable by a 1 mm nylon monofilament and it's still working, even better than original.

I do the same with the compass -- bungeed to the back of my left hand. That little extra bit of wrist articulation makes the natural hand position also the best position to use a compass, it's really nice. My hoseless AI computer is bungeed to the back of my right hand. That leaves no space for a Goodman handle so I don't use one anymore, I just boltsnap lights to my chest D-rings. Overall it is very streamlined and easy to use. If I ever splurge for a big can light, then I might need to reconfigure things to make space for a Goodman handle.

Still have an analog SPG boltsnapped to the left hip D-ring, but thinking about removing it from my reg and tossing it into my save-a-dive kit. Since I don't do overhead dives, deco stop dives, or dive under boat traffic, I cannot imagine a situation where the computer would fail and I would subsequently care what the analog SPG says anymore, because at that point I'll be bailing out to the surface.
I do the same with the compass -- bungeed to the back of my left hand. /QUOTE]

How do you get your hand in your pocket?

I store my DSMB and spool in the left thigh pocket of my drysuit (AL fusion bullet). I have not had any issues getting my hand in/out with the compass on the back of my left hand.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom