Return to Diving Post SPA Ligation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CGE925

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A few weeks before Christmas, I quite suddenly started bleeding quite profusely from my left nostril. NOT a simple nosebleed. Initially I was able to stop the flow after 10-15 minutes, but with in days it became very difficult to control. I averaged two to three bad bleeds per day. I was "fortunate" enough to be in the middle of a bad bleeding session when I visited the ER, so the triage team was quickly able to understand the severity of the problem, plug me up completely to stop the bleeding and send me for a CT. The diagnosis was quick and the next morning I underwent a successful ligation of the Sphenopalatine Artery. I now sport a pair of small clips on the artery and seem to be healing up well. I had absolutely no issues with nosebleeds before this.

Assuming a normal recovery and no complications, will this pose any problems to returning to diving? My wife and I have long had a trip down south planned for mid-February, and I will definitely be passing on the dives I had planned for the Caymans, but would it be realistic to be able to return to diving by late spring when the ice starts to melt up here? Yes, I have a very good and conscientious dive doctor and will be seeing her for my annual checkup in the spring. The ENT surgeon who worked on me is not a diver, and he too advised against diving in mid-February.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and comments.

Hi CGE925,

I emailed one of our ENT surgeons about this. Will post when I hear back from him.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks very much Doc. Much appreciated.

You're most welcome. For the record, I'm an RN, and lucky enough to have a lot of resources available to me. Our ENT physician replied quickly; he said that it's an easy procedure to recover from, and that most of his patients recover after a couple of weeks. Of course your mileage may vary and this shouldn't be construed as a clearance to dive, but it may give you an idea about some questions to ask your ENT surgeon.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom