Reusing a scrubber?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With my rEvo I use a fresh sorb cassette for any dive deeper than 60m and will reuse that cassette on subsequent shallower dives until the rMS tells me the scrubber cycle time is close to expiring. I will reuse a sorb cassette if the rMS shows it has greater than 40minutes of remaining cycle time, if it is this low it will be used on a relatively shallow dive with no deco maybe grabbing a few crays or photographing critters in the shallows.

I have two sets of cassettes and have kept a partially used cassette for several months sealed in a bag. In the cooler waters where I dive I usually get 3.5 hrs out of a cassette, in warmer tropical waters I get close to 6hrs.

I follow the manufactures suggestion for warm water with my rEvo. I will change out my top scubber after 3 hours maximum usage or both if more than 3 hours. The 4-1/2 hour rule for both is also my normal mantra. Dives over 200' deep will be fresh sorb regardless but I will seal up the partially used canister for later use in shallow diving. I am also perfectly fine to extend the total runtime up to 10 hours if most of it is deco since I have been forced to do this once on a bad day.

I'm similar to you Ken (though I'm not doing any deep dives on my unit currently). I have the 5.5# radial scrubber on the fathom. If I'm doing a weekend of diving I won't repack the scrubber unless not repacking is pushing me close to 5 hours. Since we're fairly new to ccr, our dives are limited to 3 hours or less. If we do a 2.5hr dive one day, we will generally do 2 hours or less the next day if not repacking. I do pull the head and remove the scrubber so everything dries out.
I've also done a couple hour dive one day and knew I'd be diving another couple hour dive 3 days later, and I reused the scrubber. I have a large vacuum sealer, so I vacuum sealed the scrubber between dive days. Not sure if that helped or not since it potentially trapped moisture. I know it's perfectly safe, but it gave me an uncomfortable feeling so I probably won't do it again. No need to give yourself the creeps if you're just saving a couple of bucks in sorb. I also packed a scrubber then ending up not diving due to weather, so I threw the scrubber in a vacuum bag until the followign weekend. That didn't bother me in the least.
Right now it's not worth the uncertainty to push a scrubber while I'm still figuring everything out.

My rule of thumb is any time I'm diving deep (>200') I start with a fresh pack, but I'm comfortable with re-using a scrubber for two days in a row for shallower dives given certain criteria.

Any time I've put more than 3 or 4 hours on the scrubber, I bin it, period. I have put over 7 hours on these scrubbers (multiple times), but they were single dives with the majority of the time (more than half) being on deco. Any time I'm over 3 or 4 hours, I consider it cashed enough that I have zero interest in re-using it.

Any time I'm debating about starting with a USED scrubber and I know my dive plan will get me above 4 hours total on the scrubber, I bin it and repack. So basically, my rule of thumb is roughly 2x 2 hour dives and I'm comfortable reusing a scrubber two days in a row, after that I'm dumping it and starting fresh.

Basically this ^^^^^^. 5.5# in the SF2 and 7# in my Pelagian. I had the 8# radial in my Meg before I sold it, but never stretched its legs that much. If it's anything deep, it gets a new scrubber. Sorb is cheap, funerals are expensive. I tend to estimate 1lb/hr as a conservative baseline. Obviously depth, temp, etc. play a role.

If I put 4 hours on the SF2, I'm dumping it, because then next dive isn't gonna be worth it unless it's a super shallow rec type of dive. Then I'd limit myself to an NDL on a typical reef bimble. I wouldn't put it in a cave simply because the risk profile is greater. NDL in a shallow Mexican cave and NDL on a 15m reef are very different beasts. If I do 2 hours in the cave, I'd do another 2-3 in the cave. I'd do 6-8 hours total on a single dive provided a significant portion is lazy deco. I wouldn't roll 8 hours in the back end of Naharon since the deco involved is mostly nothing, and the majority of it could be swimming.

If I put 4 hours on the Pelagian, I'm good for another 4 unless it's deep. I'd do 8 hours on it without a second thought. Again, single dive limits are different than re-using the scrubber, and similar rules apply, but I'd give it another hour or two roughly on each simply because of the size of the scrubber.

Bottom line, I plan for a pound an hour swimming. I'll stretch it if deco is involved. If I'm going deep, I bin it and start fresh. Sorb is cheap, funerals are expensive. Easy rule to go by, and has served me well.

I seal the SF2 scrubber in a dry bag, and the Pelagian I've got a couple port plugs that I pop in the unit since the scrubber isn't removable. I pop the bottom off to get rid of any moisture, then seal the whole thing back up.

Unrelated but related, I'm thinking about building a radial for the SF2 just to give it a shot. I'd love it if the little Meg 5.5# radial would fit with an adapter but I don't have one to try. Anybody got a used radial they want to get rid of?

I won't dive my scrubber past 3 hours when doing repetitive dives. I can store a partially used scrubber for a week. I haven't exceeded 3 hours on my scrubber yet, but could plan doing that on a single dive with long deco. Dives below 50 meters or over 120 minutes I always start with a fresh scrubber.
This is how I was instructed to do. My environment is as cold as it gets, but without significant currents. Standard JJ axial.

Still a noob on breathers (about 50 hours in and no deep dives as of yet).

Diving a JJ, in GUE setup. Scrubber holding 2.3 kg of material. At this moment I'm only doing recreational dives of max 90 minutes with a min temp of 12°c. I'll do multiple dives on the unit up to 4 hours, but won't start a new dive after 3 hours use. I'll store the scrubber unit in a ziplocked bag up to 21 days between dives and if longer I'll bin it in any case irrelevant to usage.

In future when I'm starting to extend the range (depth and time) I'll always start with a new fill on deep/deco dives, and only reuse if sufficient runtime left and the 2nd dive is rec limits (time and depth).

5.5lb radial in my meg. I treat it as a 6 hour scrubber. I will plan 2x 3hr dives on it with no issue, especially if scootering or have a good bit of deco on it, but won't plan more. If I have a 4+hr dive, I bit it.

For those of you saying you'll go up to 1hr/pound on your scrubber over multiple dives, are you considering the impact of starting a dive with a limited viable bed depth (due in part from a previous dive) in your calculus?

Back
Top Bottom