Review: DGX 600 vs Xtar D26 vs $22 eBay light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha ha! Sounds great! ;-) My issue has been that I want to have it in a soft handmount (e.g. the one from DGX). Can't jam it under my chin or even really use two hands then.

That's the one I have too. Where the velcro wrap goes over the light handle, I just jam the whole thing under my chin and it holds it tight enough for me to turn the head with the other hand. I know it sounds awkward, but it works.

I also bought a D26 today as my primary day and backup night torch.
Now I only have to decide on the complementary primary night and backup day one (leaning towards the Tovatec Fusion 530) + goodman handle.

I also bought a D26 today as my primary day and backup night torch.
Now I only have to decide on the complementary primary night and backup day one (leaning towards the Tovatec Fusion 530) + goodman handle.

Have a look at the Archon D11V before you commit to anything. Cheaper. Brighter. Multiple brightness levels. 110 degree beam angle (good match for a GoPro).

Also, I don't like slide switches. The couple of lights I've tried with a slide switch always seem to get turned on by accident. Twist on or a push button (especially one with a lock, like the D26) is what I prefer.

Have a look at the Archon D11V before you commit to anything. Cheaper. Brighter. Multiple brightness levels. 110 degree beam angle (good match for a GoPro)
A fix 110 degree beam is a bit too wide for me. I'd need it less for video but more for normal night diving (i.e. needs to be narrow enough for signalling). Haven't committed to anything yet but the variable beam of the Fusion 530 does look interesting.

Try the D26 for night use before you decide you need anything different.

For night use, I use the 110 degree light to see stuff and I can always click on the D26, signal, then click it off - if necessary. Normally, my buddy would be close enough that, instead of using the light to signal, I can just shine the light on my other hand and use a hand signal instead of a light signal.

Or just use the D26 at night. Probably on Medium or maybe even Low.

Thanks stuartv. Have the DGX , and similar DRIS impact stubby. Both really nice lights but kind of PITA to turn on/off, particularly with soft holder. Recently got and have used the D26. It is perfect. Very similar if not slightly tighter beam and brightness and so much easier to turn on or off in the middle of the dive.

To be fair, don't blame Chinese on this. Too many light manufacture inflate their light output. You think DRIS 1000/1K, HOG Morph 1000 ... (just to name a few reputatble light) output 1000 lumen?? Think again. They both measured about 300-400. DGX600 is also on the same range. I know they didn't lie as much as the 5000 one, but none are practicularly honest by definition. DGX600 is the same light as Brinyte DIV05 (Chinese made)

Anway, the Xtar is a very interesting light, quite surprise to see its size comparison next to DGX600. Not much bigger, but can take much higher capacity 26650 cell. At $60, I think it is worth a try over DGX600.

I have two XTAR D26 lights. The pushbuttons are a pleasure to use. I removed the O-ring from the button per recommendation by XTAR and users on this forum, to avoid the button becoming hydrolocked at depth. The quarter turn button lock feature works fine without the O-ring. Having a single high-capacity 26650 battery gives you long runtime without the hassle of charging, maintaining and matching up multiple cells. The XTAR VC4 charger is nice since the display shows you the mAh charged into the battery, allowing you to keep track of battery health.

I have two XTAR D26 lights. The pushbuttons are a pleasure to use. I removed the O-ring from the button per recommendation by XTAR and users on this forum, to avoid the button becoming hydrolocked at depth. The quarter turn button lock feature works fine without the O-ring. Having a single high-capacity 26650 battery gives you long runtime without the hassle of charging, maintaining and matching up multiple cells. The XTAR VC4 charger is nice since the display shows you the mAh charged into the battery, allowing you to keep track of battery health.

What is this "remove the o-ring" voodoo you speak of?

What is this "remove the o-ring" voodoo you speak of?

If you search around, you can find some posts that talk about the On/Off button possibly getting stuck in the down/depressed position.

Supposedly, this can happen because their is an O-ring in the button assembly. If you press the button a few times at depth, it can squeeze out any air that is in there and then the O-ring prevents water from being pulled in, so a vacuum under the button keeps it from popping back up.

There are instructions (from Xtar, IIRC) that show how to remove the On/Off button, remove the O-ring, and reinstall the button, to prevent this problem from happening.

I haven't run into the problem yet, so I haven't removed the O-ring from either of my D26 lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom