Review: DGX 600 vs Xtar D26 vs $22 eBay light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welp, my D26 is on its last legs. The switch has been deteriorating ever since I bought it 6 months ago, and it now takes a minute to try to switch it on.

Maybe it has sand inside. Does anyone know what tool I need to remove the switch?

What does it do? Is it hard to press? Or does it press the same but you have to press it more than once to get it to turn on?

From the comment that maybe it has sad inside, I'm guessing it's getting hard to press. Or hard to twist between lock/unlock?

I have not taken mine apart, but I have seen pictures of one taken apart. I think you just need something to some of grip the indentations around the circumference of the ring around the button. Maybe needle nose pliers? Bent needle nose pliers might be even better. Or a pin spanner? Or possibly circlip pliers?

Have you tried just pushing on it and twisting? Maybe friction from your fingers is enough to get it to turn?

@stuartv - I had seen your review before and ended up buying one of the D26's and have really liked it. Used it a few times so far. I wanted a handle on mine, so I purchased a BigBlue light handle and modified it (little drilling). The handle's end has a hole that attaches to a retractable cable that attaches to one of my D-rings on my BC. So far so good. I used some red threadlock for the bolt and also put some epoxy where the handle sits flush against the light to try and ensure the handle doesn't twist from the light.

That's cool. Just curious. What makes you prefer the handle to something like the Oxycheq Raider light sock, where it would be mounted on the back of your hand? Or, no handle at all?

Not sayign it's good or bad! I have never used a light with a handle, so I don't really "get" what would make you prefer it.

That's cool. Just curious. What makes you prefer the handle to something like the Oxycheq Raider light sock, where it would be mounted on the back of your hand? Or, no handle at all?

Not sayign it's good or bad! I have never used a light with a handle, so I don't really "get" what would make you prefer it.
Good question Stuart and I honestly can't answer that since I've never used the back of the hand mount style. The reason I wanted to go with a handle (first time for that) is because it allowed me to direct the light in the desired direction a bit easier without having to torque my wrist one direction or another, or point my arm a direction or another. You can manipulate the direction of the light with just some small adjustments of the handle in your fingers/hand. You're holding onto less and therefore manipulating the direction of the light seemed easier to me. Might not be for everyone, but I do like the handle a bit better than no handle. And you can still use the light as if it had no handle as the BigBlue handle gives you enough clearance to do so. I would like to try a hand mount at some point and then I could really respond accurately to your question/comparison.

What does it do? Is it hard to press? Or does it press the same but you have to press it more than once to get it to turn on?

From the comment that maybe it has sad inside, I'm guessing it's getting hard to press. Or hard to twist between lock/unlock?
Finally opened the ring and fixed it!

The light switch isn't stiff, it just doesn't turn on. After removing the spring, it works. I figured that the switch needed to be flush with the torch without the 1mm of spring in between. After cutting and squeezing the spring smaller it worked.

I think either the magnet is weak or the switch circuit is defective.

Finally opened the ring and fixed it!

The light switch isn't stiff, it just doesn't turn on. After removing the spring, it works. I figured that the switch needed to be flush with the torch without the 1mm of spring in between. After cutting and squeezing the spring smaller it worked.

I think either the magnet is weak or the switch circuit is defective.

Weird. But, thanks for the update!

I bought the warm version, D26W, and gave it a try on a day dive today. Viz was about 10-15m today. The D26 and D26W have similar brightness, and my first impression is that the warm version looks more pleasing.

I'll be taking it for a few more dives this weekend, will keep posting as i have more feedback.

I got myself 26650 batteries for my D26 from here:XTAR 26650 5000mAh High Capacity Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Protected for D26 | eBay and both of them tested over 5200mAh on my Opus. And more importantly,seller packed them inside cheap tin body flashlight and send via airmail, I received them in 8 days.

@wKkaY ,can you do side by side comparison of the two? I would love to see pictures of your flashlight. I usually keep my D26 on medium, since it's too bright.

I got myself 26650 batteries for my D26 from here:XTAR 26650 5000mAh High Capacity Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Protected for D26 | eBay and both of them tested over 5200mAh on my Opus. And more importantly,seller packed them inside cheap tin body flashlight and send via airmail, I received them in 8 days.

Wow. $40 for 2 batteries? I bought mine 4 at a time on eBay. They were something like $26 for 4 batteries, from a seller in the U.S.. They all tested over 5200mAh as well. I'm seeing them for $25, with free shipping, from a seller in CA right now. That's for Soshine 26650s.

Not trying to rain on your parade at all. Just, hopefully, saving you some money in the future.

Meh, I don't mind getting wet....
Now, seriously, you have a lot more options in US than I do here. I have ordered Soshine 26650's twice and never got them. When I contested transaction, sellers went craping on customs hold up and such. Besides, there are no Soshine 26650 that ship to my country at this moment (haven't been for a while now). No names tested about 3000, so I just got tired of waiting and pulled the trigger on those Xtars.

@wKkaY ,can you do side by side comparison of the two? I would love to see pictures of your flashlight. I usually keep my D26 on medium, since it's too bright.
Unfortunately my light switch thingy is completely broken now so I can't do side by side comparisons :(

I took some time today to make a runtime chart of the XTAR D26. For something that's rated to 2 hours, it outperformed! It does cast doubt on XTAR's claim that it has constant output regulation though.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom