Review: DGX 600 vs Xtar D26 vs $22 eBay light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They also have the new push button version in both a narrow beam (10 degrees) and video (wide-120 degree). Looks like the same specs as the DGX 600, which has an 8 degree beam. Haven’t used it, so don’t know how well it functions. The push button is in the base.

I have a couple of the DGX600 twist lights. They are nice. I also have 2 Xtar D26 and I like them even better.

If I were going back to a light that uses an 18650 battery, I would definitely pay the extra ($5?) for the DGX Push over the DGX600. Having to use 2 hands to turn it on or off is annoying.

If I were going back to a light that uses an 18650 battery, I would definitely pay the extra ($5?) for the DGX Push over the DGX600. Having to use 2 hands to turn it on or off is annoying.
From the DGX website it looks like the prices for the twist on/off and the push are the same ($55).

For night diving, should I get a 600 lumen or something higher? Maybe the 800 for primary and the 600 for backup?

From the DGX website it looks like the prices for the twist on/off and the push are the same ($55).

For night diving, should I get a 600 lumen or something higher? Maybe the 800 for primary and the 600 for backup?

For night diving, the DGX600 is PLENTY bright enough. To me, night diving doesn't really need AS bright of a light. It just blinds the critters and scares them away. Or pisses them off. Especially if it's a tight spot beam. My last night dive, I carried 2 lights - an Xtar D26, which I mostly kept set on Medium, unless I cranked it up to shine on something further away - and an Archon video light. The video light puts out about the same lumens as the D26 and the DGX600, just in a much wider beam. I mostly used the video light during the night dive, so it lit up a nice big area.

Note: Having a spot beam light on you, even if you're not using it, is important in case you need to use it for signalling.

Thanks again stuartv. I just ordered the DGX Push (Spot beam) for an upcoming trip. If I like that light I will likely get the DGX Push Wide beam for night diving. Then my spot beam can be my backup. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks again stuartv. I just ordered the DGX Push (Spot beam) for an upcoming trip. If I like that light I will likely get the DGX Push Wide beam for night diving. Then my spot beam can be my backup. Hopefully that makes sense.

I bought the DGX Push Button Spot light and on my first night dive of a trip, the light switched off on its own. I thought maybe I might have accidentally pressed the button, but after multiple presses, it would only turn on for an instant and then switch off again. The button wasn't acting like a toggle anymore.

After drying and upon inspection, it wasn't flooded. The button just didn't work properly anymore, even in air. It would just turn on for an instant and switch off again.

I sent a video of its behavior to DGX and they said it's the first time they've seen something like this. They agreed to send out a replacement and I chose to get a twist style instead.

I bought the DGX Push Button Spot light and on my first night dive of a trip, the light switched off on its own.
That's a bummer, but good that DGX replaced it. I took my new one on a trip to Coz last month and had no issues with the switch. The only issue I had was the plastic cover for the rechargeable battery started to peel away; DGX said that the cover was cosmetic and had no functional value. They agreed to replace the battery "with my next purchase".

That's a bummer, but good that DGX replaced it. I took my new one on a trip to Coz last month and had no issues with the switch. The only issue I had was the plastic cover for the rechargeable battery started to peel away; DGX said that the cover was cosmetic and had no functional value. They agreed to replace the battery "with my next purchase".

I have a bunch of 18650's now, due to them being included with other things I've bought, like the Xtar charger @stuartv recommended. If you haven't gotten one yet, I totally recommend it too. You can see the percentage charged and ETA, which comes in real handy if you have a bunch of batteries with unknown charge levels. The charger is about 2.2x the size of the one DGX includes, but handles two batteries at a time, so the extra 0.2x isn't that much more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom