Review: DRIS 28lb BP/W System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sik_Z33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My Background
Like most new divers on this website I began my diving career in a traditional jacket bcd similar to the one I was loaned in my ow classes. The BCD I was using was a Seaquest pro qd with integrated weight pockets and a surrounding air bladder. I used the jacket for about 5-6 months and logged about 20+ dives in it. It served it's purpose but I found the inflation jacket to be clumsy underwater and constricting right from the beginning. I quickly made the transition to a back-inflation bc in the form of a Dive Rite transpac system with a venture lift wing and a travel wing. It was and still is a great rig and provides everything I need and require from my BC (stability, and free range of motion underwater). My only gripe with it was even with my steel tank I still needed to carry extra lead and I could do without all the extra padding. I was happy and content with the transpac because I didn't feel like shelling out another $500 for a bp/w setup until I came across the DRIS 28 lb BP/W system.

triantapackage.jpg

I ordered my bp/w system from Debbie at DRIS last week and received it 4 days later. The package comes complete with everything you need to get started. The wing looks just as solid as my Dive rite wings did so I'm anxious to see how well it holds up! I average about 1-2 dives a month so at that rate I can see this lasting a very long time, at $299 for the whole package I can't imagine a more affordable bp/w system. It comes with 3 flat d rings but I opted to use 2 bent D rings at the shoulder position that I already had. The only other things I added were a Z knife and a sheath mounted dive knife. The whole rig is super compact, the SS plate paired with my steel hp 80 and has eliminated my need to carry any extra weight even with my 3 mil wet suit on.

On to the pictures:
IMG_0157.jpg

I made the inflation hose keeper from an old dive glove strap.

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

The wing itself is about 1" longer than my short HP 80 tank so avoiding a pinch flat is probably the biggest thing I need to watch. I had the same issue with my last wing and was always able to avoid any problems by setting the wing down first infront of the tank or just laying the whole thing down. So far I've done one pool dive and one beach dive and it performed flawlessly. Even with all my weight over my lungs it was very easy to trim out properly and everything felt very balanced. My transpac had great stability and kept the tank stuck to my back but the hard plate does that even better and really is completely comfortable in and out the water. I originally planned on keeping both but at this point I can't see any reason to go back to the transpac. I'll let you guys know how the wing holds up in the future, it does include a life time warranty if any issues do arise and from the service I received while ordering from DRIS I don't expect to have any problems.

Last edited:
Wow... This looks really nice... Especially for the money. :)

Couple of questions:

1. Is that a 1" crotch strap? I see that the plate comes equipped to handle either. Was a 2" an option?

2. Does this wing have a separate bladder inside a shell (like a Halcyon Eclipse) or is this a one-piece design like the old Pioneers (vinyl-lined shell)?

3. The cam bands that you have don't match the cam bands in the sales picture... What gives?

Thanks!

PS: Nice power inflator and hose. They look right... And good quality (not the long plastic junk that even some high-end wings are coming with).

FYI: The power inflator hose "keeper" is just a big o-ring and can be obtained by purchasing one from Extreme Exposure in High Springs, FL. It goes on the triglide on the left side - the same triglide that holds your D-ring. Simple mod.

One last thing... Finish on the plate looks nice. Is this anodized, coated, chromed, polished or shot peened? Will it chip or wear off? Are all of the edges buffed and deburred? Too many slots for cam bands, if you ask me, and I'm not a fan of bottom slots - but those things aren't a big deal.

Nice bp/wing... A steal.

Wow... This looks really nice... Especially for the money. :)

Couple of questions:

1. Is that a 1" crotch strap? I see that the plate comes equipped to handle either. Was a 2" an option?

2. Does this wing have a separate bladder inside a shell (like a Halcyon Eclipse) or is this a one-piece design like the old Pioneers (vinyl-lined shell)?

3. The cam bands that you have don't match the cam bands in the sales picture... What gives?

Thanks!

Haha you have a keen eye...

1. The package actually included a 2" crotch strap the 1" strap I already owned. I found the 1" strap easier to adjust while fitting the harness and I like that it has a buckle release. Both work fine for me but I will probably be switching to the 2" before my next dive now that I have the harness dialed in.

2. The wing does have a bladder separate from the outer shell, the bladder seems to be made from a material that's different from the bladder in my dive rite wings hopefully it's just as tough.

3. When I ordered the package they were out of the cam bands so i told them to just send me the rest of the kit because I had my own. They told me it would be 7-10 days but I actually received the cam bands like 2 days later! I haven't had a chance to switch them out yet but they look fine too.

I got was the SS plate which is a HOG brand plate. I believe the finish it shot peened, the edges are finished okay but it could be a little better. I don't think it'll ever cut me but the harness might fray after a while.

Damn, that's exciting, actually.

I am seriously liking the HOG stuff, and to know that that's a name-brand HOG plate has me giddy inside.

Amazing that this is a bladdered wing. I would expect the price of the wing alone to retail higher than $300. Very nice! It's exciting to know that if you hole a wing, you can repair it easily and not even have a "repaired" look. Sweet! There's a zipper on the outer shell, right?

The cam bands that you got (two days later) come apart completely... That is, when you release them, they totally release, not just loosen. This changes EVERYTHING on a rocking boat - a totally superior design to anything else that's out there. Scubapro had the patent on it for years, and the only way you could get the feature was to buy Scubapro straps. Now that the patent has expired, these started being made. Highland has a brand new design that totally comes apart, too, and they are super-sweet as well.

To attach a tank, lay the whole rig down on it's face and lay the tank on top of it. Connect the bands, stand the rig up and connect the regs. Way easier than trying to slide the rig down onto a standing tank, and... When the dive is done and you are disassembling, you can lay the rig down and remove the tank without removing or depressurizing the regs. Rinse. Now you've got rinsed regs BEFORE you depressurize. Makes your regs last longer, and is waaaay easier, especially on a rocking boat. All your dive buddies will be jealous. :)

"Totally right" for $299... Hilarious. I know what my next set of rigs are going to be... :)

FWIW, I have historically paid more than $299 - a LOT more than $299 - for just the wing alone. :)

I am totally impressed with this rig.

It looks like a great starter set for $300. Given the modularity, if the wing/bladder doesn't last as long as 'high end' brands you can always upgrade when you need to replace - it'd still be cheaper than buying 'high-end' from the start.

LPI looks the same as on my Oxycheq. Meets my preference.

The 'LPI Hose Retainer' is already on the corrogated hose. On your pictures it's dangling right above the LPI - the little rubber loop. Send that to the top of the corrugated hose to help route the LP hose neater over the top of the wing. You don't need your homemade version.

2" Crotch strap is generally preferable to the 1" you have fitted. It's integral to the fit of the harness... so you can't perfectly 'dial in' anything until you've got that sorted.

Now... let's talk about hoses.... :wink:

According the specs on the DRIS website, the wing shell is 1640 cordura and the inner bladder is 15mil urethane. These materials are average, about the same as Dive Rite, HOG, among others. If it's well put together and you take good care of it, the wing should hold up just fine for a long time. However, Halcyon, Oxy, DSS, OMS, AGIR, among others, do offer beefier wings. Halcyon and OMS, for example, apply generous coatings under their 1000 dernier shells, and 1000 dernier is already tougher stuff than 1640. Halcyon and OMS also use dernier inner bladders, usually lighter stuff, like 420 or something, but also generously undercoated. Oxy and DSS use very thick urethane inner bladders, something like 30mil and 25mil (as opposed to 15mil).

That DRIS rig looks great for the price. I like the wing shape, much like the Halcyon. But you do get what you pay for.

My Background
Like most new divers on this website I began my diving career in a traditional jacket bcd similar to the one I was loaned in my ow classes. The BCD I was using was a Seaquest pro qd with integrated weight pockets and a surrounding air bladder. I used the jacket for about 5-6 months and logged about 20+ dives in it. It served it's purpose but I found the inflation jacket to be clumsy underwater and constricting right from the beginning. I quickly made the transition to a back-inflation bc in the form of a Dive Rite transpac system with a venture lift wing and a travel wing. It was and still is a great rig and provides everything I need and require from my BC (stability, and free range of motion underwater). My only gripe with it was even with my steel tank I still needed to carry extra lead and I could do without all the extra padding. I was happy and content with the transpac because I didn't feel like shelling out another $500 for a bp/w setup until I came across the DRIS 28 lb BP/W system.

I ordered my bp/w system from Debbie at DRIS last week and received it 4 days later. The package comes complete with everything you need to get started. The wing looks just as solid as my Dive rite wings did so I'm anxious to see how well it holds up! I average about 1-2 dives a month so at that rate I can see this lasting a very long time, at $299 for the whole package I can't imagine a more affordable bp/w system. It comes with 3 flat d rings but I opted to use 2 bent D rings at the shoulder position that I already had. The only other things I added were a Z knife and a sheath mounted dive knife. The whole rig is super compact, the SS plate paired with my steel hp 80 and has eliminated my need to carry any extra weight even with my 3 mil wet suit on.

On to the pictures:
IMG_0157.jpg

I made the inflation hose keeper from an old dive glove strap.

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

The wing itself is about 1" longer than my short HP 80 tank so avoiding a pinch flat is probably the biggest thing I need to watch. I had the same issue with my last wing and was always able to avoid any problems by setting the wing down first infront of the tank or just laying the whole thing down. So far I've done one pool dive and one beach dive and it performed flawlessly. Even with all my weight over my lungs it was very easy to trim out properly and everything felt very balanced. My transpac had great stability and kept the tank stuck to my back but the hard plate does that even better and really is completely comfortable in and out the water. I originally planned on keeping both but at this point I can't see any reason to go back to the transpac. I'll let you guys know how the wing holds up in the future, it does include a life time warranty if any issues do arise and from the service I received while ordering from DRIS I don't expect to have any problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom