Review of the Oly XZ-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard back from Mike at Oly this morning. The good news is that he got back to me in a timely manner.
The bad news is that his e mail was useless. All he said was that I couldn't use the flash in super macro because I would be to close to the subject.........
I e mailed him back letting him know that he must have missed the point about why I needed the cameras flash to fire.

Water absorbs red light spectrum the most.

I just receive my XZ-1 about 30 minutes ago. The first thing I did was to put it in super macro and try to set the flash manually. It does not work. You are completely locked out of any strobe operation when in super macro.
On the plus side, the control dial will work with the PT-050 housing just fine. You wont be able to "scroll" by turning the wheel, but all operations still seem to be available using the left, right, up, down buttons.
I sent an e mail to Oly yesterday asking if they plan on addressing the super macro issue and I will post it if I ever hear back from them.

I am so sorry they kept the no flash "feature" on super macro. That's just the same as on their older classic C series cams and it was a bummer then.

You know my impression when I look at pics of this camera? It looks like they took the ancient C5050 F1.8 lens, the control layout of the SP-350 and added more up-to-date electronics and sensor, but kept the firmware pretty much unmodified.

That's good and bad. The C5050 lens was/is fantastic optically, but cheap mechanically. The SP-350 did all the needed functions but is a little slow by today's standards. And leveraging existing firmware is safe, but you inherit the limitations too. So a merge with some modern enhancements makes good sense. I'm so tempted to get one, like I need another camera, right!

Flash probably does work in macro, not supermacro, mode, at least that's how it was. So use that, and put on a wet macro lens. Or, get a housing that will support external strobe via the hotshoe, such as the forthcoming Ikelite ("planned, no info"). Or get creative, bore a hole in the housing and drop a Heinrichs Weikamp TTL converter in.

You guys in Asia and Europe got this housing a month before us in the USA, so we're eagerly enjoying looking at the great shots you are getting. So jealous!! They say this housing will be arriving in retail channels here in USA next week, but is already backordered.

I will look on the bright side. I'll let you pioneers discover all the good and bad things about the housing before I buy. Keep posting these fabulous photos!

Great Shots, Jun (Asian guy:wink:)!!! Please keep posting them.
I look forward to your pix as I do not see such critters In the Caribbean.
I think I see this camera replacing my trusty C5050. I'd rather have an Ikelite housing for my existing strobes though. I could possibly bore a hole in the OLY housing and use one of Heinrichs converters. I wonder if DAN equipment insurance would cover a modified housing, if it flooded???

Great Shots, Jun (Asian guy:wink:)!!! Please keep posting them.
I look forward to your pix as I do not see such critters In the Caribbean.
I think I see this camera replacing my trusty C5050. I'd rather have an Ikelite housing for my existing strobes though. I could possibly bore a hole in the OLY housing and use one of Heinrichs converters. I wonder if DAN equipment insurance would cover a modified housing, if it flooded???

Ike should have a housing for the XZ-1 in the near future.

Jun, Great pix!!!
Eggs:D. Outstanding!!! Wide looking good too. Please keep posting after some off gassing.
Thanks again for posting your fabulous pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom