REVIEW: OrcaTorch 2700 lumens canister light D620 by Alec Peirce

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The two months are up, do you have an update on when it will be released please. The new light doesn't appear on your website so far.

I posted that same question on their Facebook page about 2 weeks ago. Their response was "2 months". So, I guess it is still far from ready. :-(

They are frantically working to get it ready for DEMA. I have some info but I can’t disclose until after DEMA.

They are frantically working to get it ready for DEMA. I have some info but I can’t disclose until after DEMA.

What year?

:p

Hearing that it's delayed another two months gives me hope that they're responding to complaints and going back to taking 8 individual 18650 cells, like the community wanted.

The D630 is on display at DEMA. Can you spill some beans now?

The video in the OrcaTorch DEMA thread shows the D630 having 4 (?) LED emitters and someone posted specs saying 3000 lumens.

What are the LED emitters in it? There are 4 of them?

What is the beam angle?

I cannot fathom why they would change the light head away from a single XHP70! The XHP70 is rated for around 4000 lumens. I also am highly skeptical that a light head with 4 LED emitters can achieve the desired 6 - 8 degree beam angle for the spot.

All in all, I'm withholding final judgment until actual specs are given, but so far I am very disappointed.

The D630 is on display at DEMA. Can you spill some beans now?

The video in the OrcaTorch DEMA thread shows the D630 having 4 (?) LED emitters and someone posted specs saying 3000 lumens.

What are the LED emitters in it? There are 4 of them?

What is the beam angle?

I cannot fathom why they would change the light head away from a single XHP70! The XHP70 is rated for around 4000 lumens. I also am highly skeptical that a light head with 4 LED emitters can achieve the desired 6 - 8 degree beam angle for the spot.

All in all, I'm withholding final judgment until actual specs are given, but so far I am very disappointed.
This is the info I had, seems to be at odds with the specs above.

3D2704A2-B332-4A00-BFBD-816EF2BB817F.jpeg

Thanks, @RainPilot.

Do you think the beam angle is really 8 degrees?

Do you know what the dimensions of the light head are? It looks like it would be fatter than the D620 light head.

5 x LEDs and 5000 lumens suggests it has XM-L2 LED emitters. That is very disappointing. I would rather have one XHP70 in a much more compact light head, with only 4000 lumens, a long burn time, and a very tight beam. Or possibly 3 x XHP35 LEDs for the same output in a smaller and more efficient package (than 5 x XM-L2).

Thanks, @RainPilot.

Do you think the beam angle is really 8 degrees?

Do you know what the dimensions of the light head are? It looks like it would be fatter than the D620 light head.

5 x LEDs and 5000 lumens suggests it has XM-L2 LED emitters. That is very disappointing. I would rather have one XHP70 in a much more compact light head, with only 4000 lumens, a long burn time, and a very tight beam. Or possibly 3 x XHP35 LEDs for the same output in a smaller and more efficient package (than 5 x XM-L2).

Relax, you don't know the full story yet :)

It may turn out much better than what you think or, probably, far worse :)

I also am highly skeptical that a light head with 4 LED emitters can achieve the desired 6 - 8 degree beam angle for the spot

Beam angle and the spread of emitters aren't directly linked. Each emitter will have a lense and there will be a reflector. There are other ways too which I'm not going to discuss as my company designs LED lights (For TV studios) and I'm not giving away freebies

However I can assure you that with proper design you can get an array to replicate a point source, from there you beam angle is easy to design.

That said I have no connection with Orca and don't know what they're actually doing, I just wanted to point out that it can be done

Back
Top Bottom