• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Review - Sandals Grenada

Discussion in 'Lesser Antilles' started by BalekFekete, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Stoo

Stoo NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Mrs. Stoo and I got hitched here, long before it was Sandals. It was called La Source then. It has just reopened following a hurricane-induced renovation and it was a great place. Grenada is one of the few "destination wedding" countries where the marriage is legal back in Canada (and the US I expect). Many destinations the marriages aren't actually legal and require a civil ceremony when you return.

While we loved the resort, we were less than impressed with the diving. The island itself is very nice. It's lush and a foodie's paradise.

I'm glad the OP enjoyed their trip!

2. saxman242

saxman242 Manta Ray

Out of curiosity, why dive with Flamingo vs Seafari at CM? I've dove with the CM folks at both Turkoise and Columbus Isle and have always been very impressed with their operation. The boats are larger, but other than that, I have nothing to complain about.

3. BalekFekete

BalekFekete Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I can imagine that's true for someone in quadrupile digit dives. For a couple where number of dives is half their age, it was great! All about perspective. :p

4. mcohen1021

mcohen1021 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    On the off day when Flamingo was sold out, we went w Caicos Adventures. There was a huge fight over who was going to drive us all back and I think the guy that eventually did was drunk. The awesome thing about Flamingo is 8 max on the boat. Now, if I could go back and do it all over again, I would go on the Aggressor. The ride from the dock to the reefs is 45+ minutes each way and it makes for a LONG day –approx. 6 hrs to do 2 dives.

5. saxman242

saxman242 Manta Ray

Sandals are fantastic resorts that also offer some diving. They're not the best dive resorts.

BalekFekete likes this.
  6. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

I'm surprised to hear your opinion of the diving in Grenada .

I enjoy it. Little critters are huge and plentiful. Aquadives takes us to a myriad of different types of sites.

Of course, my opinion is a bit coloured by the overall beauty of the island.

7. Stoo

Stoo NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    In fairness, the 10 days that we were there followed a solid week of heavy rain, so the visibility wasn't great. We did a couple of dives on th Bianca C which I loved. (I was damn near late for my nuptials... a little extra deco to do!) It's also possible that since the place had just reopened, it maybe the dive crew wasn't overly experienced with where to take us. I've read lots of good reports, so don't put much weight in my experience.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  8. Reefterp

Reefterp Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thank you sooo much for this detailed review because I'm eyeing this exact resort for the experience you outlined. We want to do two tank morning dives followed by afternoons on the beach and be pampered throughout the process

One question your review didn't answer- do they provide a safe spot to store your gear brought from home? One thing I loathe is lugging around wet gear. We BYO BCs, wetsuits, booties, fins and like to store those at the dock. We carry our masks and computers back to the room, and rent the regs, tanks, and weights.

9. BalekFekete

BalekFekete Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    You can freely store any/all of your equipment in the dive shop. Where it's a private beach there is zero traffic from outside the resort, so it appeared quite safe and secure. Once we got to know the staff after the first or second day, they offered to rinse/hang the equipment as well. Some days that was with mixed results as it seemed our bags weren't unpacked to e.g. rinse the boots/fins/etc. But the days I took care of it myself (aside from the ribbing of 'you're on vacation...enjoy yourself...we'll do this!') nobody cared if I dropped our stuff in the dunk tanks quickly myself.

Also note that there is no 'rent' either - anything you could need is included in the price of the room.

Reefterp likes this.
  10. Esprise Me

Esprise Me Kelp forest dweller ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I have to ask... what were they doing, and what did you have them do differently?