Review: XDeep Ghost BCD- BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you use Zip Ties?

I can even attach the weights with a cord if I wish.. :) ..but since XDeep is all (also) style and coolness I doubt they come up with a such DIY solution.. so there must be trim pockets with holes to fix with bolts, that aren't those in the picture (unless the holes are hidden behind), neither they are my pockets (that hasn't any hole as well).

It has the holes.. but I have no idea how you can mount them there (they are also a bit high on the plate).. I have mine mounted on the usual tank strap (the lower one).
Anyway the holes are there indeed:

View attachment 477492
Thanks a lot for all the replies, that's exactly the holes i was talking about. The sales and i were discussing about this holding the ghost in hand together with all types of xdeep weight pockets, but had no idea how could any of them fit to those holes. Their trim pockets only got webbing at the back, probably for attaching to tank bands or weoght belt. Is not that i am dying to have the trim pockets fit onto those holes, just really want yo know how and will be glad to know that i have one more option.

I myself didn't get trim bags from xdeep either…

@Trailboss123 Thanks for the review. I'm considered purchasing a Ghost Deluxe as my first BC. I am a single tank diver, using it entirely so far in tropical waters... looks perfect for my needs. I see you're native to the PacNW, as am I (Portland). I've read on here that getting customer service in our part of the world is difficult, and XDeep isn't very well loved by most local dive shops. Has this been an issue for you in any way? I'm curious since I'll probably have to order it from afar and maintain it without the help I would get if I bought through my LDS.

Any advice along those lines is like gospel. Thanks.

@Trailboss123 Thanks for the review. I'm considered purchasing a Ghost Deluxe as my first BC. I am a single tank diver, using it entirely so far in tropical waters... looks perfect for my needs. I see you're native to the PacNW, as am I (Portland). I've read on here that getting customer service in our part of the world is difficult, and XDeep isn't very well loved by most local dive shops. Has this been an issue for you in any way? I'm curious since I'll probably have to order it from afar and maintain it without the help I would get if I bought through my LDS.

They have support in NJ.

I lived in Portland for years and was a Divemaster for one of the local shops. Don't hesitate to get the XDeep if you feel it is the best BC for you.
I have over 400 dives on mine now. I have had no reason to service it for any reason. There really isn't anything to service. Dive it, clean it after diving, dry it out and store it before use again. Since you are on the West Coast, I would encourage you to buy it through Eco Dive Center in Los Angeles. That is where I bought mine. You can order over the phone and they will ship it to you and you won't pay tax since you are in Oregon.
If you have issues with it, which I highly doubt, you can then work things out through Eco Dive Center.

Local dive shops in Portland (and I know them all) don't know anything about the XDeep brand and I would venture to say that no one has ever even seen one, much less been diving in one, in order to make an objective assessment. All of the LDS in Portland sell their brands of equipment and BC's and would never encourage you to get something they don't sell or can't service and make money off of. In addition to that, XDeep has its roots in technical diving and I don't know one shop that has any experience or sells anything technical related. It is all run of the mill name brand recreational dive gear, which is fine- but they shouldn't hate on something they know nothing about. "Servicing" a BC is one of the biggest rip offs and con games going in the local dive shop industry. IMHO. Unless you are diving an Aqua Lung i3 BC or somethinmg similar, which should be serviced due to its integrated inflate/deflate system.

There is nothing to "service" on an XDeep BC. You might need a "repair" if you poke a hole in the bladder/wing, but otherwise, the only thing to service or consider is the inflator and that is not really a BC issue-- it is an inflator issue and you can use any brand inflator you want on the XDeep. Let me know if you have any questions. Only other thing to consider with the XDeep will be the weight system. If you are only diving warm water in the tropics, you may not be using much lead. You have one of three options or any combination of the three.
1. Weight belt
2. XDeep has integrated and ditchable weight pockets in 2 sizes that mount around the waist strap and attach to the backplate and are sold as an add-on (Eco Dive Center will get those for you if you want them and you can ask them to mount them up before shipping to you).
3. You can buy some XS Scuba trim weight pockets that velcro on to the tank band. They comfortably hold up to 4-5 lbs in each pocket.

I use 22 lbs of lead for cold water/drysuit diving, so I use both 2 and 3 above. In warm water, I use only 4 lbs of lead- so, I have lots of flexibility in how I wear those 4 lbs.

xDeep NX GHOST Deluxe Scuba Diving BCD

I lived in Portland for years and was a Divemaster for one of the local shops. Don't hesitate to get the XDeep if you feel it is the best BC for you.
I have over 400 dives on mine now. I have had no reason to service it for any reason. There really isn't anything to service. Dive it, clean it after diving, dry it out and store it before use again. Since you are on the West Coast, I would encourage you to buy it through Eco Dive Center in Los Angeles. That is where I bought mine. You can order over the phone and they will ship it to you and you won't pay tax since you are in Oregon.
If you have issues with it, which I highly doubt, you can then work things out through Eco Dive Center.

Local dive shops in Portland (and I know them all) don't know anything about the XDeep brand and I would venture to say that no one has ever even seen one, much less been diving in one, in order to make an objective assessment. All of the LDS in Portland sell their brands of equipment and BC's and would never encourage you to get something they don't sell or can't service and make money off of. In addition to that, XDeep has its roots in technical diving and I don't know one shop that has any experience or sells anything technical related. It is all run of the mill name brand recreational dive gear, which is fine- but they shouldn't hate on something they know nothing about. "Servicing" a BC is one of the biggest rip offs and con games going in the local dive shop industry. IMHO. Unless you are diving an Aqua Lung i3 BC or somethinmg similar, which should be serviced due to its integrated inflate/deflate system.

There is nothing to "service" on an XDeep BC. You might need a "repair" if you poke a hole in the bladder/wing, but otherwise, the only thing to service or consider is the inflator and that is not really a BC issue-- it is an inflator issue and you can use any brand inflator you want on the XDeep. Let me know if you have any questions. Only other thing to consider with the XDeep will be the weight system. If you are only diving warm water in the tropics, you may not be using much lead. You have one of three options or any combination of the three.
1. Weight belt
2. XDeep has integrated and ditchable weight pockets in 2 sizes that mount around the waist strap and attach to the backplate and are sold as an add-on (Eco Dive Center will get those for you if you want them and you can ask them to mount them up before shipping to you).
3. You can buy some XS Scuba trim weight pockets that velcro on to the tank band. They comfortably hold up to 4-5 lbs in each pocket.

I use 22 lbs of lead for cold water/drysuit diving, so I use both 2 and 3 above. In warm water, I use only 4 lbs of lead- so, I have lots of flexibility in how I wear those 4 lbs.

xDeep NX GHOST Deluxe Scuba Diving BCD

I’ve used the Ghost on about 250 dives - best BPW out there. I love the way the belt connects to the crotch strap. It sits high but trims incredibly well. I use 3 lbs of lead in each built-in pocket with a 3mm wetsuit. Never been happier with a BPW. Initially I thought that I would need a sternum strap but it stays put and is quite solid without one. Great BPW.

@Trailboss123 Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough reply. Aquatic Sports is my preferred local shop, but I agree they primarily stock the big name brands, and thus I sometimes shop online, like when I went with Shearwater for a dive computer. As a new diver, their owner Jeff has been a great source of knowledge and conversation, but there's a lot of great gear out there and they don't stock it all. Like XDive.

I'm glad to hear there isn't much to service. I take good care of my equipment so it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for providing a recommendation of where to buy.

In scouring ScubaBoard for any more information on the Ghost I found a few things that people didn't like: the waist strap is a bit high, the rear valve is too high, the wing can taco, it could use a few more d-rings, and there are perhaps a few design flaws with the integrated weight pockets (ref: Thoughts on the xDEEP Ghost). None of these sound like deal breakers to me, and I'm sure there are quirks to every system out there.

While I'm still looking at a couple other options (Apeks' modular BPW system is the strongest contender), I think it's very likely that I'll be going the XDive Ghost route.

Thanks very much for your input!

I really like mine, although I've only got 18 dives on it so far. It's really nice for traveling. It weighs nothing and packs flat. I have to pack the GF's Aqualung Lotus as well and I could fit probably 8 of the Ghosts in the same amount of space.

Back
Top Bottom