Review: XDeep Ghost BCD- BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Trailboss123 Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough reply. Aquatic Sports is my preferred local shop, but I agree they primarily stock the big name brands, and thus I sometimes shop online, like when I went with Shearwater for a dive computer. As a new diver, their owner Jeff has been a great source of knowledge and conversation, but there's a lot of great gear out there and they don't stock it all. Like XDive.

I'm glad to hear there isn't much to service. I take good care of my equipment so it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for providing a recommendation of where to buy.

In scouring ScubaBoard for any more information on the Ghost I found a few things that people didn't like: the waist strap is a bit high, the rear valve is too high, the wing can taco, it could use a few more d-rings, and there are perhaps a few design flaws with the integrated weight pockets (ref: Thoughts on the xDEEP Ghost). None of these sound like deal breakers to me, and I'm sure there are quirks to every system out there.

While I'm still looking at a couple other options (Apeks' modular BPW system is the strongest contender), I think it's very likely that I'll be going the XDive Ghost route.

Thanks very much for your input!
The waist strap being higher than others, is in my opinion, a positive and not a negative. Particularly if you were going to use a waist belt. Not sure what design flaws there are with the weight pockets. They work just fine. I added a couple of D-RIngs-- very easy and simple. I have never understood the "wing tacoing" complaint. I have heard that also- from people who don't own or use the XDeep. How is that even an issue or concern? Anyway, I would agree that the rear dump valve would be better placed if lower on the wing, but it has not caused me any issues. I also don't care for the valve itself. I have often thought about swapping it out with the one from my Scuba Pro BC, which is an awesome valve- but for whatever reason, I just haven't swapped it out yet.

@Brad Chatellier I doubt you will be unhappy with the Ghost. It was this thread that put it on my radar and I'm happy it did.

I got the intergrated weight pouch (only use 2lbs in each) which they installed for me without asking and have no issues with it. I'm not even sure what kind of issue you could have with it.

My deluxe came with 5 D-rings. 2 shoulder, 1 left hip (on the weight pouch since it's in the position of where the D-ring would be on the waist strap) and 2 on side of the double crotch straps. I think this how they are now equipped.

If you do a search, I posted a 360 degish video that someone took of me in my 1st dive with it before I made any adjustments. I guess you may see this 'tacoing'? I don't have any issues with how it is either.

Back
Top Bottom