Reviews of Halycon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 'corrugated hose' on the DSS leaves me wishing for a proper hose like the Halcyon wings have. Those plasticy ones split at the seams.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "proper hose" and "plasticy ones". I have a DSS wing that is 6 years old and I've not had any issues with the hose. I also have a Hollis wing and 2 Dive Rite wings and haven't had an issue with the corrugated hoses on any of them.

With that said, I don't want to hijack the thread and make it about DSS. Halcyon is good stuff. If you're comfortable with the price your LDS is charging, you can't go wrong with it.

Me, I actually prefer the lighter, smaller corrugated hoses -- and since my singles wing is about ten years old and has over 1000 dives on it, I don't think they're a big issue.

The 'corrugated hose' on the DSS leaves me wishing for a proper hose like the Halcyon wings have. Those plasticy ones split at the seams.

The injection molded hoses DSS uses have no seams. Like all injection molded goods they do have parting lines, but that is not a seam or weak point.

The parting line is where the two halves of the mold meet.

Without a seam it would be odd for these hoses to fail at the parting line in the mold. I've never seen one or had any reports of hoses splitting down the parting line.

All Hoses can tear. This usually occurs near the fittings when the hoses are pulled on too hard or too often, but these tears are not associated with parting lines or the non existent seams.

Others use dip molded hoses like these Industrial Hoses | Crush Proof Industrial Hoses - Crushproof Tubing These hoses have some advantages and some disadvantages. Dip molded hoses are widely used for rebreather breathing loops, and failures are far from unknown.

I prefer the injection molded hoses because they are smaller, and feature a smooth bore. Unlike the dip molded hoses which are convoluted internally, a smooth bore hose is easier to evacuate water out of.

These molded hoses are produced using modern TPE or Theromoplastic Elastomers. The typical TPE contains a high percentage of natural Rubber. Very long life with very good resistance to Ozone and UV. We use TPE's to produce the DSS instrument mounts.

It's not a question of cost. Dip molded vs injection molded hoses cost about the same.

Tobin

I just did a quick price check between DSS and H for a compatible BC setup.

DSS $460: SS Standard size SS plate, hogarthian harness, 40lb wing, cambands with wedge
H Eclipse $769: SS standard size SS plate, hogarthian harness, 40lb wing, STA, cambands, storage pack, ACB weight pocket.

The difference seems big here, $369, 67% more, but you also get storage pack ($72) and ACB ($135) with H. If you them away, the H is $562. So the real difference is $100, 25% more. Still a lot, but not as ridiculous as the first numbers show.

I've seen those hoses (or at least ones that look mighty similar) crack. They're not really corrugated, either. The inside is smooth with little ribs on the outside. All the ones I've seen, anyway. Maybe I'm mistaken, that happens from time to time. I like my corrugated hose to be able to stretch a bit.

Maybe the cracking is a Florida thing where its a bajillion degrees every day.

I have several wings/backplates but my Halcyon is by far my favorite.

Halcyon does cost a bit more, but the gains are well worth the extra expense, IMO.

I've seen those hoses (or at least ones that look mighty similar) crack. They're not really corrugated, either. The inside is smooth with little ribs on the outside. All the ones I've seen, anyway. Maybe I'm mistaken, that happens from time to time. I like my corrugated hose to be able to stretch a bit.

Maybe the cracking is a Florida thing where its a bajillion degrees every day.

I'd love to see one.

The molding temps for TPE's is ~400F so I doubt Florida temps are a problem.

TPE's are routinely used in auto's in under the hood applications, air induction systems and CV joint covers are almost always TPE's If they survive under the hood temps scuba applications are a cake walk.

Tobin

I just did a quick price check between DSS and H for a compatible BC setup.

DSS $460: SS Standard size SS plate, hogarthian harness, 40lb wing, cambands with wedge
H Eclipse $769: SS standard size SS plate, hogarthian harness, 40lb wing, STA, cambands, storage pack, ACB weight pocket.

The difference seems big here, $369, 67% more, but you also get storage pack ($72) and ACB ($135) with H. If you them away, the H is $562. So the real difference is $100, 25% more. Still a lot, but not as ridiculous as the first numbers show.

You also get a STA with Halcyon which is not needed with the DSS wing.

---------- Post Merged at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Am I correct in DSS wings attach with rubber gromlets to the backplate? If so is there any danger of these being unexpectantly torn loose during the dive or in heavy surf?

No, the cam straps for the tank run through the backplate and the wing. There is no danger of losing the wing. You only need to use screws when using a STA other than that they only serve to align the wing to the plate.

---------- Post Merged at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:05 AM ----------

I've heard great things about back inflate BC's, and my LDS has a Halycon that looks very sturdy and minimalist, which I like. It also looks like a great travel BC, as you can take the backplate out, and put it in your carry-on.

Thanks!

As mentioned by other posters the main drawback is the cost. I do not think you will hear anyone complain about anything else with Halcyon. As far as traveling goes the Halcyon wing is quite flexible and can be rolled up. As far as assembly and disassembly goes it is a PITA. You have 6 screws to undo to remove the pad then another two wing nuts to remove the STA. This will separate the wing from the plate and STA. The STA is metal, the cam straps are metal and the plate is metal, So it is heavy. In contrast the DSS is much easier to break down and is lighter. BTW, all BP/Ws can be broken down not just Halcyon.

I think Kathydee has it correct below. The fact that you can purchase it at your LDS and support a local shop, who will take care of you if you ever have a problem, should be considered as well.

You do pay a little more but they pay extreme attention to detail in the design and manufacture of their gear, enough to warrant a little extra in my mind. And that little extra is a drop in the scuba bucket when you think of the other money that you will spend on gear, trips, dives and post-dive beers. :)

I have several wings/backplates but my Halcyon is by far my favorite.

Halcyon does cost a bit more, but the gains are well worth the extra expense, IMO.

I've used Halycon since I started out, both for singles and doubles rigs, and have nothing but good things to say about them. OTOH, you might not be able to get away with putting the BP in your carry-on--some TSA person might think you're going to use it as a a weapon!

Back
Top Bottom