Reviews & Questions - Aqualung Rogue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarelyBreathing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So the Aqualung Rogue BC seems to be checking all the right boxes for me. But before I pull the trigger, I'm looking for as many user reviews as I can get and I have a couple of questions I'm trying to find answers for.

I currently use a Scubapro Go BC which I bought in a hurry some years ago. I dive warm water only and it works fine, is definitely light and packable as advertised, but the fit could be a bit better and I'm about ready to move to back inflation to see if that's more comfortable for me.

Questions:

1) How well do the roll-down pockets work? I typically have a signalling mirror, a spare frameless mask, a reef hook and occasionally, thin gloves in my pockets. Do they move about when carrying items? Do they flop down and ruin your streamlining when you're in proper horizontal trim?

2) I know this has been asked and discussed before but from what I gather much depends on weight distribution and specific models of BC. Were you able to maintain good upright position on the surface (without getting pushed forward) with weights in just the kidney weight pockets? Or did you need to add non-ditchable trim to the tank band? Is that even an option? I dive with only 2 pieces of 1kg lead and if I have 1kg each in the ditchable kidney pockets, adding another 1 or 2kg on the cam band could mean overweighting.

Thanks much in advance!

A back inflate bc only pushes your face forward if you are improperly weighted (weight in front) and over inflate it. Even then, if you just lean back and lay on top of your bc, it will feel like you are sitting in a BarcaLounger.

Haha! I had to google BarcaLounger :D

I'm aware that weight placement affects vertical position on the surface. My question was more specific to whether the Rogue in particular can keep you upright with just weights in the unorthodox mounting position of the kidney weight pockets or whether it's necessary to strap non-ditchable weight to the cam band, which in my case will result in overweighting if I were to also maintain minimal ditchable weight (1kg each) in the kidney pockets.

Haha! I had to google BarcaLounger :D

I'm aware that weight placement affects vertical position on the surface. My question was more specific to whether the Rogue in particular can keep you upright with just weights in the unorthodox mounting position of the kidney weight pockets or whether it's necessary to strap non-ditchable weight to the cam band, which in my case will result in overweighting if I were to also maintain minimal ditchable weight (1kg each) in the kidney pockets.

With only a couple of pounds, and with the pockets toward the back, I wouldn’t expect your face to be pushed forward unless you really crank on the inflator until bubbles come out the butt dump. With that little weight, you may be able to get by with the 11 pound wing which will reduce the face plant even more.

I have been using a 30 pound wing for the last 10 years or so. I have paired it with SS, Aluminum and soft fabric plates at various times. Any additional weight is on a belt toward the back of my hips. None of my configurations pushed me forward even if I cranked on the inflator until bubbles came out.

I am looking at one of these for my boy. This will be his first bc and seems ideal for warm water diving.

With only a couple of pounds, and with the pockets toward the back, I wouldn’t expect your face to be pushed forward unless you really crank on the inflator until bubbles come out the butt dump. With that little weight, you may be able to get by with the 11 pound wing which will reduce the face plant even more.

I have been using a 30 pound wing for the last 10 years or so. I have paired it with SS, Aluminum and soft fabric plates at various times. Any additional weight is on a belt toward the back of my hips. None of my configurations pushed me forward even if I cranked on the inflator until bubbles came out.

I am looking at one of these for my boy. This will be his first bc and seems ideal for warm water diving.

I don't think there is an 11 pound wing option for the Rogue (there were two bladder size options for the Outlaw, but again I'm hoping to get user feedback specific to the Rogue). If you do get the Rogue for your son, I'd be interested to know his/your feedback to my original questions.

You may be right there, I was looking at the Outlaw. I just figured they used the same wings.

Just to add to the info about this BCD, I recently bought it as my first back inflate and I love it ( only 2 dives in it mind you ). The quality of the build and fitting is good and its very easy to dismantle and put back together. The quick release weight pockets feel very secure and I doubt anyone could mis-install them and lose the weights. I'd recommend the trim pockets as well of you need some extra weight. Happy to answer any questions anyone has.

The boy did his pool dives this past weekend in his Outlaw w/ 11# Wing. It’s a nice little bc but I wish there was a way to attach a crotch strap. Otherwise, I am figuring how to configure it pretty well with the fixed fabric loops.

I didn’t get the weight pockets. The rest of us use belts so I didn’t see any point in him learning something else.

I currently dive the Outlaw and really like it. I know you're asking about the Rogue, but I think they are similar enough for comparison. No problems with tipping on the surface. I dive tropics, 3mm full, with 6~8lbs total in the quick release pockets, no tank band weights. Like BarelyBreathing said, it's like a lounge chair, quite comfortable really, all laid back on the surface gently finning to shore:D I'm also quite happy with my trim underwater.

I added the Rogue waistbands for the pockets. I like my knife mounted on the pocket grommets, but I do find the left side waist pocket interferes with my SPG when the pocket is deployed. I keep my mirror and thin gloves in the left pocket while still rolled up. I put a Reef Hook, or Reel and DSMB in the right pocket if needed for the dive. Sure it hangs down a little bit, but less than having things clipped out in the open. Also less chance of losing something.

Good luck shopping!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom