Reviews & Questions - Aqualung Rogue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s a nice little bc but I wish there was a way to attach a crotch strap.

I agree, a crotch strap would be a huge benefit to any BC.

I am actually in the process of solving this issue for the Outlaw, without modifying the BC in any way. I will report back with a thread when it's done and tested.

I agree, a crotch strap would be a huge benefit to any BC.

I am actually in the process of solving this issue for the Outlaw, without modifying the BC in any way. I will report back with a thread when it's done and tested.

Keep us informed, I am also looking for a way to attach it to the Rogue BCD.

My idea is, since the back bladder is attached via velcros to the backplate, to do a small triangle strap at the backplate end with 1 side hooks and other side loops so that i could just place that in between the normal attachment

Problem solved.
IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

@ZzzKing , Nice job! It appears like that is attached to the wing's velcro loop?

I considered both of those solutions, but I didn't like the idea of inadvertently putting too much stress on the wing. My solution is like a custom Tri Glide with a horizontal bottom slot. It will go on the tank band, between the tank stays, and still allow the bladder to connect to the tank band as designed. I already have the CAD for 1 inch, 1-1/2 inch and 2 inch crotch straps. I will post a pic a little later.

Once I've made and tested it, I will post the specifics for anyone on SB to use. I will use a piece of 13ga 316 stainless sheet scrap and have it laser or waterjet cut. I am just waiting on a crotch strap to be brought over by a friend from the US (I live in the Philippines).

Last edited:
Yes, it is. I just used what I had on hand. I will have to keep an eye on the Velcro attachment for wear.

You could use one of these with a 1” crotch strap DSS Counter Lung Attachment Hardware to connect it to the tank band.

Yes, it is. I just used what I had on hand. I will have to keep an eye on the Velcro attachment for wear.

You could use one of these with a 1” crotch strap DSS Counter Lung Attachment Hardware to connect it to the tank band.

Nice find! I was actually looking for something like that, but the closest I had come across was the offset D-rings like the one below that product. It does look like that is too narrow though, like it would interfere with the bladder attachment.

Wear is a concern if mine, I don't want any rubbing on the bladder or webbing, while maintaining as low profile as possible. It will make more sense when I can post a pic. But basically, the tank band passes through the Tank Stay, up through the Adapter piece, over and back down through the Adapter, and through the other Tank Stay. The bladder is then free to attach to the Tank Band as originally designed. The Crotch Strap slot is also just low enough to clear the bottom edge of the Tank Stay base.

I will be using a scrap piece of 316 SS Sheet, but aluminum (or maybe even plastic) could also be used as well.

Just ordered the counterlung attachment with some 1” webbing. I will post photos with Crotchstrap 2.0 sometime next week when my care package arrives. Stay tuned...

Awesome! Team work! I like it!
:cheers:

We should start a dedicated thread for this. I hope it will help other Outlaw/Rogue owners out there, and heck, it might be adaptable enough for other BCs:)

Crotchstrap 2.0, as promised.

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

Note that this precludes the velcro attachment system at the bottom of the wing but the wing is trapped between the cylinder and the backplate anyway and the tank band holds it in place laterally. I don't anticipate any adverse wear or lateral maladjustment of the wing while diving.

So I finally bought the Rogue and did 9 dives with it in Redang Island, Malaysia. Here's a quick review that may hopefully benefit those considering it but like me couldn't find any reviews.

1. Firstly, it is NOT as lightweight as is represented on Aqualung marketing. Dry, without the Surelock weight pockets attached, the size M weighs in at just over 2.5kg, not the "under 2.2kg" as advertised. With the Surelock pockets installed (but without the lead obviously), it reaches a hefty 3.1kg! Compare this to the BC I came from, the Scubapro Go, which weighs in at 2.3kg without integrated weight system and 2.6kg with weight system.

2. The fit and comfort are very good. I did not have to get different straps etc. If anything, maybe I would have liked a slightly longer "backplate", the size L perhaps, to accommodate my slightly lanky frame (I'm 182cm, 75kg) and use the M shoulder and waist straps. But the dive store I bought it from does not offer a mix and match price scheme ie. I would have to pay extra for an additional L-sized backplate, on top of what I needed to pay for the full M-sized set. I'd be interested to hear if your dive store allows mix and match sizing of components for the normal full set price. I did not feel the need for a crotch strap at all.

3. The storage pockets are fantastic... just the right size, easy to access and the large velcro patches feel secure. However if you are worried about losing any of the items in your pockets, there is a small webbing loop inside each pocket to clip things off. The integrated octo holder is elegant and works well so I'm happy to ditch yet another loose accessory item. Very nice to be able to fold the pocket away for simple dives where I don't need to bring gloves or drift hooks or signal mirrors. If you use a wide SMB though, it might be a bit of a tight fit into these pockets.

4. Which brings me to SMB attachment. Currently I have a pre-prepped spool and smb clipped to the hip D-ring. This D-ring is small and difficult to locate by feel. Unlike the shoulder d-rings which are fine - large and pre-bent. For SMB retrieval they are a little fiddly but still ok and since you don't need to stow a used SMB until you're back on the boat, it isn't too much of a bother. But on my left hip ring where I clip off my backup SPG, it's a little bit annoying. By the way... Aqualung literature mentions an SMB pocket accessory as an optional item. Anyone seen what this is like? Can't find it anywhere online.

5. The tiny plastic connection to hook on the pull cord to the right shoulder dump valve on the aircell does not feel like it's going to survive very long. This is OK by me as I use mostly the inflator hose and kidney dump valve to vent air, so even if this gave way I don't think I'd miss it. You may feel different should the tether break one day.

6. If you dive in warm water and don't use much weight, the Rogue's aircell is a bit overkill. I would be keen to purchase a smaller, lighter aircell for the Rogue if Aqualung were to make one. I'm tempted to consider purchasing the smaller Outlaw aircell if it would fit the Rogue. I know there's no right shoulder dump for the Outlaw, but I wouldn't need one anyway (see 5.)

7. Trim underwater is very good as to be expected for back inflation. On the surface though, even without overinflating, I did feel that it tended to tip me face-forward. I would be interested to get tips from anyone on how to better curtail this as this is my first back inflation BC. I currently use only one piece of 2lb weight on either side of my kidneys for a total of 4lbs to be ideally weighted.

Hope this helps and will be happy to answer any other questions if I can. Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom